Blackhead??? Help!!

bigspringshatchery

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Roanoke Alabama
I think my poults may have blackhead. I've lost two in the past 3 days. They are 7 weeks old. They just stand there with their heads pulled back. Is this blackhead. What can I do? This won't affect my chickens will it?

please help!!!!!
fl.gif

I have no idea... googled and found this though

Blackhead disease: The first symptoms are not specific but are suggestive of blackhead. The birds stand with their heads tilted downward or drawn to the body. Their feathers are ruffled; their wings droop. Their eyes are partly closed. At first the birds are alert when they are disturbed but they quickly become indifferent if they are seriously ill.

So I don't think it's blackhead after all. Poop is normal and head color is normal. Still not sure what caused them to die. But the rest of em look good. They were acting normal. What else could it have been?

Last edited:
If your poults are in an area that chickens are, or have been in the last couple of years- it is quite likely that they have been exposed to blackhead. Symptoms are vague- they look weak and ill. Their heads rarely turn black. They often have ugly yellow diarrhea. Diagnosis is usually on necropsy- they have distinctive liver changes. I would check with your state poultry extension & lab and see if they have free or low cost testing. If you have a local vet that you work with, metronidazole works pretty well to treat, but it is an rx & is off label for poultry- if you plan to eat these guys down the road. Chickens are low risk for this disease, though they can get it- they are the source of the problem, not so much at risk from it.

My poults are raised with my chickens. I raised turkeys with my chickens the last time I had turkeys 3 years ago and never lost one so I figured I wouldn't have trouble this time. If it is blackhead what do I need to do to kill it in my chickens so I don't pass it on to other ppls flock.

I have them on tetracycline. That's all I could find any where around here. I know it's for respiratory infections but a vet told me that it's better than nothing. I called 5 vets and 3 had no clue what I was talking about. One had something for blackhead but they couldn't give me a price or sell it to me bc the dr left the office.

Dimetridazole is no longer available but Metronidazole (Flagyl) is and is sold OTC for use in fish ponds. Product name Fishzole.

Here is a thread with info and links to articles/other threads specific to Histomoniasis: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=357671&p=1

If it is Blackhead then runs need to be moved, or soil removed and replaced with sand over gravel and chooks and turks placed on a regular worming schedule. Without diagnostics/necroscopies we are blind men sussing the elephant.

Good luck!

All but one of my males died. I had four now I got one. Is that just a coincidence. I still got all my hens. They might start dying but I just thought it was weird that the males were the first

Back
Top Bottom