Blackhead or Histomoniasis case in Chicken

Okay so in all my early googling and ordering frantically I also ordered powder acidified copper sulfate. I read a post from Dawg that 5 days on this will also treat blackhead. Well on the front step today was the acidified copper sulfate from Murray McMurray that I ordered. I thought about waiting 1 day more for the metrodiazonole...but Now I decided to just go for it with the copper sulfate. Everybody is getting it in their water for 5 days. I've got most of the girls (7 of 9 on an egg break for the last week) so not a big deal to throw out eggs on this stuff. Or do I need to worry about eggs with acidified copper sulfate. It says its a nutritional copper on the outside. IDK now. I feel like that mad scientist in your Avatar Kathy.
gig.gif
Trying to figure out all this chemistry with my chickens. sorta scary.
lol.png

Okay I read the Murray McMurray website and it's safe to keep the eggs on the acidified copper sulfate. Feeling better about this option although...may not really matter with all my non-layers anyways. I'm going to worm Sylvia and the non-layers then after....leave my current layers for another time...this fall for worming. Or if they take an egg break themselves.

Dawg is an EXPERT on worming birds. He knows all the in's and out's of the process, diagnosis and which wormers to use and when. So this is good that you found some info that he has posted. If you have any detailed questions, you might PM him about this issue. He is always happy to help folks out.

Good luck with your baby. I hope she makes a full recovery. :)

I know acidified copper sulfate is a preventative, but I'm not sure how effective it is as a cure. My vet did recommend using it as a preventative, but that's not something I can do due to the number of water sources I have.

If it is a cure, I would love to see some info on that.

-Kathy

Okay I read the Murray McMurray website and it's safe to keep the eggs on the acidified copper sulfate. Feeling better about this option although...may not really matter with all my non-layers anyways. I'm going to worm Sylvia and the non-layers then after....leave my current layers for another time...this fall for worming. Or if they take an egg break themselves.
I believe that copper sulfate is in many feeds, so that would make sense.

-Kathy

Sylvia finished her Fish-zole x 5 days. I waited one day and now just did a day of Wazine drench (so all the chickens). The problem with these free rangers though is that there is water in the woods still and I'm not entirely certain they got an adequate amount of wormer to send these worms out of the body. I have not noted any round worms on the linoleum today. Will look again tomorrow AM. I've seen the little oocytes in somebody's poo, though. (Before all of this mess) So there's been eggs sloughed. But anyways.... I've read a few threads about this problem with drenches and Dawg has recommended over and over again the 10 day follow up should be with 1/2 cc direct of Valbazen. Still just the two layers so I'll be throwing out their eggs for a good month here.

Everybody seems to be doing pretty well otherwise.

Sounds like you have it covered :) so happy to hear they are all doing well, this was a complicated one! I can't give any input as,as you know, my knowledge is limited lol, thou I've been keeping an eye on your thread and trying to absorb info for future reference,especially now that my own girls are free ranging! The worming treatments sound the hardest thing to figure out but if your not seeing anything wriggling then that's got to be a good sign I would think :)
Your girls are lucky to have you for sure! Give Sylvia a big hug from her English Aunty ;) xxx

Sylvia finished her Fish-zole x 5 days. I waited one day and now just did a day of Wazine drench (so all the chickens). The problem with these free rangers though is that there is water in the woods still and I'm not entirely certain they got an adequate amount of wormer to send these worms out of the body. I have not noted any round worms on the linoleum today. Will look again tomorrow AM. I've seen the little oocytes in somebody's poo, though. (Before all of this mess) So there's been eggs sloughed. But anyways.... I've read a few threads about this problem with drenches and Dawg has recommended over and over again the 10 day follow up should be with 1/2 cc direct of Valbazen. Still just the two layers so I'll be throwing out their eggs for a good month here.

Everybody seems to be doing pretty well otherwise.
Wazine only gets roundworms, so if your hen did have blackhead (histomoniasis), you need to worm with something that gets cecal worms, or the problem will return. FWIW, my vet recommended fenbendazole 10% (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) at 50mg/kg (0.5 ml per 2.2 pounds) by mouth and repeat in ten days.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Oh Boy. I thought round worms were the carrier for the protozoan. Lot's of information to sort out here I guess and lots of input to trust and not trust in all these threads. This morning I saw no obvious sign of roundworms on the 'poop board'. So although they may have got some Wazine in a slurp or two from their waterers, I suspect it was too little to do the job. They also drink a lot from those low spots around my yard. As it happened Valbazen came in the mail today. I will wait a week and treat Sylvia with this broad spectrum wormer so not have chemicals on top of each other here...although I think it's a moot point.

I watched Sylvia this AM and she is low on the pecking order...still not as spunky as she once was. Everybody eating before her on the slice of watermelon I gave this morning.

I went to buy eggs from a neighbor down the road who has chickens. Do you know how hard it was to do that?! LOL.

Back
Top Bottom