Blackhead?? Or just a bird that needs a bath?

Eudy

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2022
I’ve been worrying about my turkey hen because in the last few days her head has turned an even, consistent black all over - there are chickens within a quarter acre of her space, though they’re kept separate, so it’s not impossible. But she’s not acting sick or lethargic in any way.

I did notice that now it’s finally warm and dry weather, she started going nuts with the dust baths, so it COULD just be she’s filthy 😅 but I would have thought that wouldn’t stain her face for days… any thoughts?

Of the photos below, the first two are her now, vs the last one from a couple weeks ago

Attachments

• CA18AD91-8A96-47F0-9400-A4ACA9F30032.jpeg
    CA18AD91-8A96-47F0-9400-A4ACA9F30032.jpeg
    482.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 3C6875C0-571F-4733-AC3E-5EABF4B70CEC.jpeg
    3C6875C0-571F-4733-AC3E-5EABF4B70CEC.jpeg
    751.5 KB · Views: 7
  • B46EEB75-E5B7-46BD-9EFC-B129E1B7B2F7.jpeg
    B46EEB75-E5B7-46BD-9EFC-B129E1B7B2F7.jpeg
    624.1 KB · Views: 7
I’ve been worrying about my turkey hen because in the last few days her head has turned an even, consistent black all over - there are chickens within a quarter acre of her space, though they’re kept separate, so it’s not impossible. But she’s not acting sick or lethargic in any way.

I did notice that now it’s finally warm and dry weather, she started going nuts with the dust baths, so it COULD just be she’s filthy 😅 but I would have thought that wouldn’t stain her face for days… any thoughts?

Of the photos below, the first two are her now, vs the last one from a couple weeks ago
The key symptom to look for when suspecting blackhead is yellow stools.

Not sure why it is called blackhead since it doesn't actually cause black heads.

Blackhead Disease

Not sure why it is called blackhead since it doesn't actually cause black heads.

Blackhead Disea

Blackhead Disease
That’s great to hear! I’d read on some forums that darkening of the face could happen with some birds; but they were very vague on the details and it wasn’t an in depth article like the link you had. Big relief if it’s not related!!

Still a mystery why she changed color though 🤔

Back
Top Bottom