Blackie survives! Dont give up... Was ready to cull her two days ago...

I know we're all used to the 'chicken dies' story. This one is more upbeat. 12 days ago I opened the girl's coop and it was too quiet. One of the Blackies was wheezing . ( All Barred Rocks are Blackie around here). The other hens appeared concerned. Into the house she went. I was surprised she lasted the night. I dosed her with tylan 50. I dosed the other 4 with pigeon antibiotics in their water. Then they all had had a two day drive to MA from FL, sick hen In her own separate pen. She gasped the whole way, but the AC seemed to help. She spent another week wheezing in the kitchen, making alarming noises like she would die any minute, and being force feed electroyle water and yogurt/dogfood , which I could slurry into her via a blunt needle. By Monday I was bored with the effort and ready to cull her , but I had a cold too and hadn't died, so she got a break. I upped the tylan 50 to alarming levels 3 times a day. I gave her my asthma med singular in her yougart and some albutural to the face. I rubbed nose spray on her beak. Figured she was a goner anyway and am always willing to experiment. Monday I woke up and figured she died because I could not hear her gasping. Instead she was better , still sick but well enough to eat some blueberries , and preening. Today she is cruising the yard like it never happened. All other chickens are fine. But I still have my cold. Don't give up!
I know this is over a year ago but that’s great news. That gives me some hope for my Brahma that’s pretty sick

Back
Top Bottom