blackish feathers on face (should I worry?)

BennieTheTurkey

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2019
I noticed that Bennie got these blackish feathers above her/his beak
I tried to wash it off but it doesn't seem to be working
Maybe I'll try again
Should I be worried about this tho?
Also was kinda wondering if the color of the beak was normal since it started turning dark like that after 2 ish weeks when it hatched
She/he is about 6 weeks old now and it's my first time raising any poultry or birds
Thank you for any replies in advance
20190816_135632.jpg

I noticed that Bennie got these blackish feathers above her/his beak
I tried to wash it off but it doesn't seem to be working
Maybe I'll try again
Should I be worried about this tho?
Also was kinda wondering if the color of the beak was normal since it started turning dark like that after 2 ish weeks when it hatched
She/he is about 6 weeks old now and it's my first time raising any poultry or birds
Thank you for any replies in advance
View attachment 1879665
Not knowing what variety your poult is, I cannot tell you waht color the beak should end up. As it grows and loses most if not all of its head feathers, are you going to be concerned about that also? Mature toms will not have feathers on their heads, only a few hairs. Mature hens will have a "mohawk" of feathers that run up the back of their necks and on top of their heads. Some hens can have a heavier mohawk while some can have a sparse mohawk.

There is nothing to be concerned about in that photo.

Last edited:
Not knowing what variety your poult is, I cannot tell you waht color the beak should end up. As it grows and loses most if not all of its head feathers, are you going to be concerned about that also? Mature toms will not have feathers on their heads, only a few hairs. Mature hens will have a "mohawk" of feathers that tun up the back of their necks and on top of their heads. Some hens can have a heavier mohawk while some can have a sparse mohawk.

There is nothing to be concerned about in that photo.[/QUOTE
20190818_110243.jpg

Back
Top Bottom