blackish grey comb on rooster?

FolkSonginC

Songster
May 2, 2019
Peaks Island, ME
I've been careful to watch for signs of frostbite on my chickens throughout the winter, and they all seemed to be fine. I believe frostbit makes the tips of the comb look kind of black, so I'm confused because I just noticed that my rooster's comb is starting to turn very very grey and a little black around the top, even though it's starting to get pretty warm here and hasn't been below freezing for a while. Does anyone know why this could be or what else could cause it, and should I be worried? I'll attach a couple pictures IMG_20210321_120330023.jpg IMG_20210321_120350562.jpg .

I would say that is indeed frostbite on the tips of the comb. It may take weeks for the full extent of damage to be evident. The comb may become more rounded off in the future. I don’t use anything on uncomplicated frostbite on combs. Although some recommend putting vaseline or creams on combs, those can also freeze and cause more damage. Most cases I have seen have healed fine on their own.

It is hard to prevent frostbite in combs whe it gets down to near zero temps. But you can make sure to have good overhead room and ventilation to allow for moisture to escape your coop. Here is some reading about frostbite:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

I would say that is indeed frostbite on the tips of the comb. It may take weeks for the full extent of damage to be evident. The comb may become more rounded off in the future. I don’t use anything on uncomplicated frostbite on combs. Although some recommend putting vaseline or creams on combs, those can also freeze and cause more damage. Most cases I have seen have healed fine on their own.

It is hard to prevent frostbite in combs whe it gets down to near zero temps. But you can make sure to have good overhead room and ventilation to allow for moisture to escape your coop. Here is some reading about frostbite:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes/
This is a bit late but thank you for the reply! He is looking better now thankfully, I have good ventilation so must have just been one of those really cold days. I will check out the link about the frostbite as well

Back
Top Bottom