Blackjack #57 question

I put this stuff down in my coop over 4yrs ago, and it still looks like it did the day after it was first done. In my coop, it has been through all kinds of weather, from the low single digits in winter, to over 100F in the summer. The BIG thing with this stuff, is to StirWell. After that, it doesn't matter how you apply it. I just dumped a big puddle on the floor, and used a paint roller on a stick to push it around to where I wanted it. I'd think that's the easiest method. I put down one thick heavy coat, ,making sure it filled the gap where the wall framing met the floor. I wouldn't apply it to the walls, I want the coop bright and airy, not like a dungeon, and black paint on the walls does not help with that. After it's dry, it's never tacky, no matter what kind of weather you get. There are NO cons to this product when used as a wood floor protector in a chicken coop. I've read reviews where some people have complained that it didn't last on a roof, but I would bet that was because the complainer did not StirWell.

Thanks for the information JackE., That is what I am going to use. Like you I don't want the walls dark, so I am going to paint them with a water base white enamel.

A tip -- have the paint department mix this stuff with their machines if at all possible! It is NOT easy to mix by hand, not easy at all, forget about using the wood paint stirrer things, they will break in an instant.

A tip -- have the paint department mix this stuff with their machines if at all possible!  It is NOT easy to mix by hand, not easy at all, forget about using the wood paint stirrer things, they will break in an instant.
will they mix it? Looked like it needed a stir rod for a drill, not shaken.

Hey jack. What temp was it out when you put it down. It says 60...but 60 for how long to cure?

It takes a LOT of mixing. If it has set on the store shelf it separates completely into the watery base and what looks like giant chunks of slimy, black poorly melted cheddar cheese, or dinosaur snot as my son said.

15min with a 5 gallon paint stirring rod on an electric drill does the trick. Up and down, around and around, in and out.

It will turn into something resembling very thick smooth paint.

I used a 4inch brush and did the perimeter cracks and up the wall 6 inches, which seals the cracks around the floor studs and floor.

Then I poured a blob on the floor and shoved it around with a roller on a stick.

Easy!

says 65* surface temperature AND RISING on mine.

Not only was my surface that I was painting 65*, but it was headed for over 70 for the next 6 hours. AND was staying above 45 for the whole night. PLUS we are dry. No snow or rain for weeks prior, nor any expected for weeks. So our humidity was, and still is, non existent.

We had 4 60* days in a row, then 4 at 70.
We are almost 80* now. Lol. Unheard of in winter Nebraska!

I don't know where you are, but keep all of my quirky weather factors in mind.

I used a throw away 4-5" plastic putty knife to apply mine. It reminds me of drywall mud going on. I used a piece of 1x2 to stir mine, by levering off of the side/bottom of the bucket to swirl it for 15-20 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom