Blacklights?

Lynn57

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 10, 2009
I was wondering if anyone uses one of these. I keep a white light on for 15 hours a day now for laying and when it goes out it would be nice for the birds to still have some sort of dim light...maybe it would also add a tad of heat in the winter as well. I just don't want it to bother them either...as most birds need a certain amount of darkness. That said the black light looks like there is a full moon out rather then a bright type of light.

thoughts anyone?

thanks

I don't know..... do you sleep better with a light on, and how do you know a light is on if you are sleeping? My guess is that the girls don't either. I don't think they have to get up in the middle of the night to pee like we do.
duc.gif
In darkness they sleep well and wake up refreshed in the mornings to give you lots of eggs.
jumpy.gif

If you are breeding:
artificial light of any kind will disrupt a hens natural moon cycle of when she needs to set.
If this is for eggs:
artificial lighting will add cost to your production and may add a few eggs over the period of less natural sunlight.

The more "natural" your flock is raised to their natural environment the better the feed/energy cost ratio over a life cycle.

It was discussed recently, which is the only way that I heard it

black light bulbs throw off twice as much heat (or something like that) so if you have a 75watt bulb you HAVE to put it into a 150watt socket.

Basically the conclusion was that you should just use a brooder light with a 250watt red bulb if heat is what you want.

Otherwise I think I would just let them have darkness.

Okay then, I'll scrap the blacklight idea. Thanks you guys!

I was just thinking about the red light or heat lamps? If they are on all night to keep some heat in coop...doesn't that make it light all night for them just like a blacklight would? or anyother type?

thanks

The thing is unless you live somewhere that the winter temps. routinely drop below zero and stay there, I personally believe it's best to allow your birds acclimate to the winter cold and change in the amount of daylight.
We don't have horrible winters here. At worst, it gets down in the teens and stays there for a couple of days. However, we do get ice storms and ice storms cause power outtages. If my birds were used to a nice warm coop and the power went out, they'd get chilled and chilled birds can get sick easily. It would also be disruptive to their cycles to be used to a light, only to be without for several days until the power is restored. As it is, power outtages have no effect on them because they are not used to heat nor extra light and they do just fine. As Big C said, they just seem to do better in as natural an enviroment as possible.
Just my two cents.

In the teens? lol that sounds warm to me! We're in Central Alberta and we get a lot of cold days here, sometimes weeks of minus 40 ! I have a insulated coop...and will try to go without heat unless necessary.

Can u tell me though if the red heat lamp is on all day and night...isn't that the same as having a light on 24/7 ? I think all birds and mammals need some dark time? How do I accomplish this if I have this heat lamp going steady?

thanks

Quote:
I'm not the one to explain the whole scientific thing about different light spectrums and how chickens percieve it. However, I do know that red light is considered less "stimulating" (for lack of a better word) than white light. So red light is what I would use, if heat was necessary. I would also try to provide them as much natural daylight as possible.

Back
Top Bottom