blacksmiths, I have a question...

Quote:
we get sun stroked in our parts very easily. the trees in the back ground aren't ours. I can not imagine the fire and the sun. we hit 96 degrees in the shade last week. It isn't even summer yet.
your brother must be very focused.
Please post some pictures of his work if he doesn't mind.

That shed is looking nice! Adopt me, please
big_smile.png

It is all but finished up. I want to put expanded metal sheets over the outsides of the windows, so when the big doors are shut he can feel secure that his tools are safe. And also he needs shelving for all of the tools he is acquiring. People give him things. They like the idea that a craft is not dying out.
He has spent the year studying really hard. He has a straight A average and he is rabid about keeping it, so now that school is finishing up I expect him to do more work out there. He has been playing around with casting aluminum before he invests in Tin. or pewter.

I have been saving colored bottles to finish up one odd strip of window space that does not have a window. I am going to art it up. He won't let me paint it. so I talked him into a blue bottle window.
...and, I planted a mulberry tree next to it so there should be shade by the time he leaves for college! ...And then I will go clean the place up. I will miss him terribly, So I will probably just go sit in there and drag my big toe around in the dirt and sigh a lot.

.. or use his things and make something.

'Mom! Don't mess with my stuff"
big_smile.png

Oh, and the blue birds have decided that it is theirs. They sit on the roof peak and survey their domain.Which is also cool.

here is his Smithy or smith or shed or...
anyway, it is to the left of the greenhouses above the gardens.
I was photographing the gardens not the shed, so it is not a good picture.

He has been concentrating on getting into college.
Between school scholarship applications and college application, essays, and interviews, He has had very little free time.
He has been accepted to one college right away, but even with the scholarship and financial aid they offered, it doesn't come cheap. So we are waiting to see what the other schools have to offer.
I'll sell the house to send him to school, but not the farm.
There is always the community college.
idunno.gif

We did add a bottle window to the shed, and I will post a picture of it when I get one.
We also added a wood shed to the west wall, by extending the sides and roof.

Someone made him a small gas forge and he has been tinkering with that when he has half and hour. I think he likes the smoke, ash and mess that comes with the coal forge better, but it is more of a time investment than the gas forge.
I'll get a picture of that when I get the window.

I took down some old sheep shelters, and because down here everything has to be built with pressure treated lumber, the wood is still in very good shape, so next we are going to add more benches and shelving to the shed .

Our hope is that even if he is out of the house by the time we have it done, he will come back to visit- if for no other reason than to make sure mom hasn't moved her pottery into his shed.

Growing up happens so very quickly.
And this senior year is so much more busy than any of us expected.
I am glad we did the things we did when we did them.

Back
Top Bottom