Blackstar?

jjp

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 12, 2010
Bell Buckle, TN
We are trying to figure out what all of our Rainbow layer assortment consist of. What fun guessing and seeing what they turn out to be. I have five that we believe to be blackstars. Then we have one we thought was a blackstar and she has alot more gold on her. So what would she be? The first group are her, the second group are what we believe are blackstars. Thanks.

1)
bba678d1.jpg

988074c0.jpg

508aaf1c.jpg

2)
c456a7ba.jpg

a27554ea.jpg

f8ddffb3.jpg

8cae741b.jpg

Fred's Hens :

Cannot speak to the first couple photos. Yellow legs, white face, and too much gold on back of neck.

Some of the others, absolutely Black Star sex link. Black legs, gold on front of neck, green cast to back feathers, etc.

Good all the later are Black stars. They are just as you describe.
big_smile.png

Now just to figure out what the first one is.​

Quote:
Good all the later are Black stars. They are just as you describe.
big_smile.png

Now just to figure out what the first one is.

Well, the "look" on these hybrids vary a lot. I have 4 of them. Each has a unique look and coloring. It's the nature of a sex link.
I'm guessing, if you got them in the same batch, your first one is just "different".

They look just like my black sexlinks. I think they were called redstars. I can't remember.
They were all pitch black at 3 days old when we got them.
Very quickly one went very much like your first goldy one. The other two ended up almost the same as your others.
I thought the goldy one might have been an EE by mistake so I named her Esther and the other two are Robin redbreast
and lil' Crow. Really nice birds, great personalities.

They do have great personalities. The first one is just so different. The kids named her Goldy. They like her alot. They can't tell the others apart as easy so they haven't named them.

I've got some BlackStars (Black Sex-Link) and they are GOOD LAYERS. But, they have not been quite as good as my Buff Orpingtons....which lay JUMBO EGGS a wee-bit more regularly.

I've been happy with Both types. I haven't had a Blackstar go "broody" although this was somewhat common with my Buff Orpingtons.

GOOD LUCK with those. They are nice looking.

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Quote:
We have one Buff Orpington that come with our mix. She is my best buddy. She loves me to death. At least she acts like it to get extra treats. I would like to have a couple more of them. We call her Momma.

Back
Top Bottom