Blanche debris and me!

She’s been laying eggs (she usually doesn’t do this except in the summer, usually finds a separate spot from her crate to nest in b it not this year she’s puffed up like a turkey and docile more so than usual and squaking like no other time! She just stays in her little crate all day until I pull her out to get her to eat and drink but seems to want to be back in there I thought egg bound so I soaked her in a warm bath let her come inside to relax and she just wanted back out to her crate so made some popcorn crushed up a tums dusted the popcorn with it to see if that helps , she pooped earlier a big poop but still seems off to me and hasn’t laid an egg in days… any ideas?
She is probably broody.

She looks sick, what's her diet? Age?
Chickens really do need more chickens for their mental health, they don't do well alone.
She’s 4, she eats chicken scratch and steals the dogs food, and whatever bugs she digs up(should see her devour a scorpion) I disagree with that about them not doing well and I guess that depends on the individual chicken however I’ve kept several hen’s independently in the past (than again these hens were the outcasts) and find them to be much more personable and more like a dog than a chicken, she acts like a dog comes when called hangs out with me in the garden, comes inside hangs out when it’s hot and leaves to do her thing in the yard, she seems to be happy except these last few days she’s been off ( in the photo she just had a bath and was a little damp still)… maybe it’s me overthinking and haven’t observed her while she’s been laying so up close and personal (usually she doesn’t nest where she sleeps) She finds a little spot somewhere else in the yard last year. It was in the bamboo and the year before that it was in the yucca by the house this year she is laying in her little crate, but she sleeps in on the front porch and I remember last year she didn’t want to really leave that nest. I’d have to kind of her off of it to get her to eat and she’s doing the same thing this year, but she didn’t puff up like a turkey last year. I’ve given her a warm bath she was relaxed and then I let her come inside for a bit and then she wanted to leave so I let her out. I crushed up some Tums and sprinkled it onto popcorn to get her to eat it. She hasn’t laid an egg in a few days but she still sitting on one egg in her crate is this normal? I completely didn’t see it last year! Am I overreacting?

Back
Top Bottom