Blanched Pea Pods?

Apr 10, 2023
Gloucester, MA
Hello. I trimmed sugar snap peas for dinner last night and after blanching in salted water, they were still really stringy and inedible (even though I spent 15 minutes removing stringy parts 🙄).

Can I chop them up and give them to my chickens if they were cooked and shocked in salted water?

I probably just going to chuck them, but figured I’d ask for future reference. TIA!

Yes, you can chop them up and offer them to the chickens.
Or you can offer them to the chickens without chopping them up.

The chickens might eat them or they might not eat them, but either way should be safe enough.

Pea pods are safe, cooked or raw.

Cooking in salted water should not be a problem in this case (because it is not their main food, and it is not being given to them regularly). Too much salt is bad for chickens, but they do need a little bit of salt in their diet, and they can tolerate a certain range of salt levels just like humans can tolerate a certain range of salt levels. (Every commercial chicken food guarantees that salt is within a certain range, and someone decided what that range should be by feeding chickens with different salt levels and seeing when they showed problems from too little or too much.)

Yes, you can chop them up and offer them to the chickens.
Or you can offer them to the chickens without chopping them up.

The chickens might eat them or they might not eat them, but either way should be safe enough.

Pea pods are safe, cooked or raw.

Cooking in salted water should not be a problem in this case (because it is not their main food, and it is not being given to them regularly). Too much salt is bad for chickens, but they do need a little bit of salt in their diet, and they can tolerate a certain range of salt levels just like humans can tolerate a certain range of salt levels. (Every commercial chicken food guarantees that salt is within a certain range, and someone decided what that range should be by feeding chickens with different salt levels and seeing when they showed problems from too little or too much.)
Awesome! Thank you so much for this very informative response!

Back
Top Bottom