Blasted raccoon. Go eat in the dumpster!!! All safe :)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChooksChick, Sep 8, 2009.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Just had a raccoon attack. Baby monitor saved them. It's my fault- I left the pop door open because we hadn't used it in so long while we were letting them out the big doors. I forgot it after I opened it yesterday.

The birds are all fine. The one it stole out with got free as I ran like a pajama-ed banshee, barefoot out into the dark, and I saw it scale the fence of the day-run and run off into the neighbor's yard. It was last headed for the alley in which it ought to have gotten dinner in the first place.

It'll be back. I'm triple-checking my security come daylight.

My dog barked and I yelled at him for it. I'd been awakened by the whiney Salmon Faverolles chick, who is a bossy cow and has to make a federal issue about everything- all night, every hour!

I can't believe I saved them! Yay, baby monitor!!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    [​IMG]

3. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Baby moniters are GREAT! Like you, I have run outside several times in time to save several of my chickies. Problem here is I have to run down stairs....and half asleep....so have lots of black and blue marks. Anything to save my wonderful chickies!! [​IMG]

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    That was a close one. Good thing you were quick in getting out there to save your little one.

Lesson to the rest of us to always lock up the coop. Especially, for those of us without the baby monitor.

Thanks for sharing your story.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'm putting bells on all the doors and I think I'll put motion detector solar lights out there, too.

Jerk predators!!

6. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    I don't have a baby monitor but my neighbors are probably glad since myself would NOT be pajama'ed. I would be stark nekkid.

I guess there really IS a reason to try and make your coop predator proof.

(Although if I heard them hollering I wouldn't hesitate to bounce my happy self down to the yard!)
    [​IMG]

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    i HATE raccoons. so glad for you that you ran off the dirty suckers in time. good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by