How likely is it that an unsuccessful raccoon will return?

Blackfoxbog

Chirping
Mar 6, 2020
Tonight, I went to close up the chicken run, and my flock was acting spooked. I heard a sound beneath the coop and lo and behold, there was a juvenile raccoon in the run. First time in 3+ years of owning chickens. Scared the crap out of me.

I spent the next 5 minutes completely bonkers on adrenaline fighting this thing and screaming at it to get it to leave. I threw waterers, feeders, and utility hooks at it. I hit it with a 2×2 perch platform once or twice. After that, it made a run for it.

None of my birds were harmed. The only reason the raccoon got in was because the door was open, it was dusk, and I finally got unlucky after all this time. It's otherwise a fortress.

I set a trap for it baited with cat food and it's still empty at midnight. What are the odds this raccoon will be back? Is it likely to risk another go at my chickens after that experience?

Tonight, I went to close up the chicken run, and my flock was acting spooked. I heard a sound beneath the coop and lo and behold, there was a juvenile raccoon in the run. First time in 3+ years of owning chickens. Scared the crap out of me.

I spent the next 5 minutes completely bonkers on adrenaline fighting this thing and screaming at it to get it to leave. I threw waterers, feeders, and utility hooks at it. I hit it with a 2×2 perch platform once or twice. After that, it made a run for it.

None of my birds were harmed. The only reason the raccoon got in was because the door was open, it was dusk, and I finally got unlucky after all this time. It's otherwise a fortress.

I set a trap for it baited with cat food and it's still empty at midnight. What are the odds this raccoon will be back? Is it likely to risk another go at my chickens after that experience?
We have dealt with and have killed many raccoons over the years that have gotten after our birds. One was rabid!
I do not think that raccoon will be back after a very long time! Sounds like you did a great job standing your ground

Leaving the door open and rattling things opposite of the door will be more effective in the future.
It will return, just make sure your door is shut and there are no large gaps or dig under areas.

Leaving the door open and rattling things opposite of the door will be more effective in the future.
I tried that first. It just ignored me. In fact, it just climbed up the side of the coop, looked me in the eye, and started reaching for one of the hens. I had to escalate to the point where things were striking its body to get it to care that I was present in the run at all. It was infuriating.

I tried that first. It just ignored me. In fact, it just climbed up the side of the coop, looked me in the eye, and started reaching for one of the hens. I had to escalate to the point where things were striking its body to get it to care that I was present in the run at all. It was infuriating.
Raccoons can be onery but they should have some fear of you so it's either been around long enough to get used to hearing, smelling and seeing humans and not be overly afraid or it could be sick. That had to be really stressful trying to get it out of there! I keep a shovel near the coop for that reason. I use peanut butter and tuna in my box trap and it works well. You may have warned it off temporarily and it may take a few days to a week but in my experience they always come back and there is never just one.

Good grief, if it was that calm around you, it's likely sick. Keep an eye out for it, if you catch it, have someone dispatch it.

Wet cat food is the best bait we've tried. I can't get them to fall for dry cat food, peanut butter, or meat. But wet fishy friskies works the first night each time, lol.

Canned cat food! Punch holes in the can and wire it inside the live trap so it can't be removed. Put a concrete block on top of the trap, or arrange it so it can't be knocked over.
You might also trap cats, opossums, and skunks with this bait. Shoot the opossums and raccoons!
Don't trap if you can't shoot, releasing wild critters isn't helpful...
Canned peaches or chicken scratch may catch raccoons, and avoid cats, also a good thing.
Mary

Raccoons can be onery but they should have some fear of you so it's either been around long enough to get used to hearing, smelling and seeing humans and not be overly afraid or it could be sick. That had to be really stressful trying to get it out of there! I keep a shovel near the coop for that reason. I use peanut butter and tuna in my box trap and it works well. You may have warned it off temporarily and it may take a few days to a week but in my experience they always come back and there is never just one.
Hunger is a powerful motivator.

Back
Top Bottom