Bleach in ponds?

I have a 50 gallon stock tank that I let the water run in till clear every eve. I add Oxine ah to it a couple times a week but the kiddie pool get clean water daily. I would never use Bleach in anything my ducks/chickens/ goose was going to drink out of except for cleaning and rinsing after wards.

Ducks don't care. I emptied out my duck water yesterday and the ducks rushed over to the puddle of water it made on the ground and drank it like they were dying. That is the nasty water now puddled on the ground with fresh water right beside it. Stupid animals!

By pond I mean any kind of water vessel, whether it be kids pool, basin, trough, bowl, whatever! You don't need plants and filters and pumps etc etc...All they need is fresh water every day...
Get my drift?

By pond I mean any kind of water vessel, whether it be kids pool, basin, trough, bowl, whatever! You don't need plants and filters and pumps etc etc...All they need is fresh water every day...
Get my drift?
Don't be so quick to judge unless you know each & every one of us. When you say things like, "You people" you are addressing the entire forum - that is not appreciated.

To answer the original question - no, I wouldn't use bleach.

If you are trying to control algae, barley straw does the trick. As it decomposes, it releases something (I don't remember off the top of my head what it was) into the water that controls the growth of algae, but won't harm animals. People that have outdoor fish ponds use it.

Ducks are so messy, though, that I just dump their kiddie pool every morning and refill.

Why put anything in the water. Giving them fresh water daily would seem easy enough? No algae, no bleach (it contains enough unwanted chem's in it already!), no added preservatives!
Just how we like our water too!

To answer the original question - no, I wouldn't use bleach.

If you are trying to control algae, barley straw does the trick. As it decomposes, it releases something (I don't remember off the top of my head what it was) into the water that controls the growth of algae, but won't harm animals. People that have outdoor fish ponds use it.

Ducks are so messy, though, that I just dump their kiddie pool every morning and refill.
I've seen this at some of the water gardens in the area.

Imp

We use Apple Cider Vinegar in our ducks water, both drinking AND their pool.
ACV is full of vitamins, minerals and trace elements. It helps to lower the pH level in the stomach, helping digestion and making it a less friendly for harmful pathogens. ACV detoxifies the blood and helps remove mucous from within the body, this is particularly useful since chickens/ducks are particularly prone to respiratory problems and ACV can be of benefit in helping birds to clear their airways.

Due to the acid content of ACV, it is an antiseptic. As well as killing germs, it is also a mild antibiotic as well, (that is, it contains bacteria that destroy infectious organisms).

It also changes the PH in the pool water, and keeps algae from growing like crazy. I LOVE it.

FYI though, you have to get the raw, unfiltered kind, (looks like it has floaties lol) You can get it at health stores, and various other places.

we put a cap full in the drinking water, and just eye it and splash it in to their pool, but I am sure you can find the right dilution amount online too.
smile.png
How much ACV per gallon in the pond? I have a 500 gallon pond. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom