Bleach in water

binji

Chirping
Jul 2, 2016
Someone apparently thought it would be such a good ******* idea to spray bleach on the house and rinse it into the ditch, where my ducks like to play. Will it kill them and if so how can I remove it or how long do I have to wait for hem to be able to swim again?

Were it chlorine gas, there would be dangerous fumes in the air requiring evacuation within a significant perimeter depending on the concentration..
Fortunately Chlorine in bleach dissipates into the air. It will probably affect the microbes in the water for a day or so. The soil will retain the effects of the bleach for a longer period of time.

Contacting poison control would not be a bad idea. Your county extension office could give you a better idea of treatment if necessary.

For the moment I've just covered it up with boards. The ducks have their pool and the creek to play in so they should be fine until I can get smth done

Dilution is probably the most appropriate course of action. A pool chlorine testing kit would help give you some idea of the Cl levels.

I'm with CTKen on this one. I'm curious what the concentration of the bleach is to the water in the ditch. Earlier this year I had to disinfect my well, and used bleach to do the job. I had to run water until the chlorine smell went away but there was still small traces when I tested before drinking any. And any of us who have swam in a public pool knows how bad the pool water tastes but have surely swallowed very small amounts. And we're still kicking. If the smell is overwhelming, poison control is probably a very good idea. And I'd also take a close look at the plants in and around that ditch. If the chlorine is in high enough levels it may affect the vegetation which in turn my affect the ducks..

Back
Top Bottom