Bleeding and Broken wing in quail

Bluebirdonabluebell

In the Brooder
May 25, 2020
My quail escaped and got wedges in between two surfaces. She's bleeding a lot and looks like she broke her wing. Any suggestions on how to treat this on my own? Should I post some pictures? Please help!!

I'm sorry to see no one has responded to your post. How is your quail doing? Yes, pictures would be helpful

The wing in question needs to be thoroughly looked over for any injures, and broken bones/ligaments. A small circumferential featherless zone should be established on any wounds, preferably by plucking, but trimming will also work. After doing so, flush copiously with either saline ( 0.9%), or make a dilute solution of an antiseptic, such as chlorhexidine, or betadine, and use that. An antibacterial ointment or cream such as Preparation H, or Silver Sulfadiazine can be applied.

If allowed, attempt to feel around her wing, and see if you can feel any bones out of place. if needed, you can use her other wing as a guide. If a fracture is felt, note the location, and severity. You can use the graph below as a reference:

1608511867218.png

It is helpful to determine the site in which/if there is a broken bone, but generally, all wing fractures/injuries are going to be bandaged the same way; using a figure eight wrap. Gently holding out the wing, you can wrap few layers of gauze around the wing. Vet wrap then can be applied around the wing, then wrapped up, and over her body to provide stabilization.

1608512051729.png

https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

The gauze and bandage should be replaced daily, as well as to recoat the wound with the ointment to provide a moist environment to increase healing. Depending on how the injures are, antibiotics may be suggested to ward off any oncoming infections. Due to the location of veins on the ulna; bacterial contamination of the area may quickly flow into the body. Try to keep the bird in a quiet, calm, stressful free area. Adding vitamins, and some calcium to her water may be beneficial.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Thank you. This is very helpful. I have been using Hydrogen Peroxide solution to clean the wound
I'm sorry to see no one has responded to your post. How is your quail doing? Yes, pictures would be helpful

The wing in question needs to be thoroughly looked over for any injures, and broken bones/ligaments. A small circumferential featherless zone should be established on any wounds, preferably by plucking, but trimming will also work. After doing so, flush copiously with either saline ( 0.9%), or make a dilute solution of an antiseptic, such as chlorhexidine, or betadine, and use that. An antibacterial ointment or cream such as Preparation H, or Silver Sulfadiazine can be applied.

If allowed, attempt to feel around her wing, and see if you can feel any bones out of place. if needed, you can use her other wing as a guide. If a fracture is felt, note the location, and severity. You can use the graph below as a reference:

View attachment 2457868

It is helpful to determine the site in which/if there is a broken bone, but generally, all wing fractures/injuries are going to be bandaged the same way; using a figure eight wrap. Gently holding out the wing, you can wrap few layers of gauze around the wing. Vet wrap then can be applied around the wing, then wrapped up, and over her body to provide stabilization.

View attachment 2457874

https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

The gauze and bandage should be replaced daily, as well as to recoat the wound with the ointment to provide a moist environment to increase healing. Depending on how the injures are, antibiotics may be suggested to ward off any oncoming infections. Due to the location of veins on the ulna; bacterial contamination of the area may quickly flow into the body. Try to keep the bird in a quiet, calm, stressful free area. Adding vitamins, and some calcium to her water may be beneficial.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
Thank you. This is very helpful. I couldn't figure out how to fit the gauze on correctly without it falling off. I have been using a hydrogen peroxide solution to clean the wound, is this okay? She seems to be doing fine so far.

Thank you. This is very helpful. I have been using Hydrogen Peroxide solution to clean the wound

Thank you. This is very helpful. I couldn't figure out how to fit the gauze on correctly without it falling off. I have been using a hydrogen peroxide solution to clean the wound, is this okay? She seems to be doing fine so far.

If using hydrogen peroxide, it should be diluted down, as full strength can be damaging to some of the cells, and tissue on the wound. Generally, wounds only need to be lavaged (flushed) once. Repeated lavaging can cause the wash-off of healthy cells such as fibroblasts, and white blood cells. A few wraps of gauze is all that's needed; if you're putting too much gauze on, that can cause it to slip off.

ohhh. Okay. Thanks for the
If using hydrogen peroxide, it should be diluted down, as full strength can be damaging to some of the cells, and tissue on the wound. Generally, wounds only need to be lavaged (flushed) once. Repeated lavaging can cause the wash-off of healthy cells such as fibroblasts, and white blood cells. A few wraps of gauze is all that's needed; if you're putting too much gauze on, that can cause it to slip off.
Thanks for the information again. Ill just keep cleaning it with saline then and try putting on the gauze.

Back
Top Bottom