Bleeding comb that won't stop

Angiebubs

Songster
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
Amery, WI WI/MN border
I have 3 young roo's all raised together and they get along jsut fine. The past few days they started mating..still get along except when there is actual mating going on. After they go right back to preening each other etc.

Tonight, one of the other roos got the comb of one roo...and I cant get it to stop bleeding. Tried the bleed stop powder, and cornstarch, it keeps running.. (im covered in blood and so is the toos face, roost, etc. He seems like hes getting weak and Im not sure what else to do. The spot thats bleeding is just the tip of one of the points on his comb...any suggestions?

This will sound harsh, but if it won't stop bleeding and you can't get to a vet. Try heating a butter knife with a match or fire starter thingy and cauterize the tip.

OWIE!!!!!

Some folks dip the comb in ice water and hold it for a minute or so. Other than that, wrap him snuggly in a towel and apply direct firm pressure with a clean cloth for as long as it takes to stop bleeding. As a last resort, I would hold the handle of a spoon over a flame until super hot and use it to cauterize the bleeding area.

Last edited:
I was jsut saying I wish I knew how to do that. Im not sure a hot butter knife would cauterize would it? I dont want to further traumatize him and hurt him if it wont work? Have you done this before with success?

I had two hens get into a fight when they were younger, one of them bit the others comb and it was bleeding pretty good, all I did was apply pressure to the wound, its best to see if you can get it to clot, but from what I recall chickens dont have the clotting particles in their blood like humans do. If it is bleeding that bad you may have to take him to a vet, I would also try something like vaseline, that might help the bleeding stop enough for you to keep the pressure on, or to form a clot.

Cornstarch seemed to work..Hes weak enough I was able to hold him still and I think its clotted. I just cant believe the amount of blood all over. I have to get up before work and sun coming up (turned off grow light/timer) and nmake sure to clean up any blood on the other chickens...my black hen next to him had blood drops all over her back, Heading out now to get a seperate cage to put him in (lare dog kennel)

wow, im having the same problem! My hens comb is torn and wont stop bleeding. Im gonna try to hold her down and put pressure on it to see if that works. Any other suggestions?

ok, i cant get her to stop bleeding, ivet tried to hold pressure on the wound, she wasn't happy about that. I've even tried to run cold water over the wound... she didnt like that either. Now she's still bleeding, im afraid she's going to bleed to death. what should i do, this is very upsetting, she's losing a lot of blood.

Last night i had a very upset hen.Her comb was torn and would not stop bleeding, this went on for hours she got blood everywhere! At first i tried cornstartch, but she keptshaking her head bc of blood andcornstartch getting in her eyes and nose and every time she her comb would start bleeding a lot.Next i went to the store and bought some blood stop powder. Again she started shaking her head. The next thingi tried was holding pressure on the wound, she didnt like that at all. I put her back in her pen until i could think of what to do. I had been dealing with this for about 4 hours, my little girl was getting very weak i wasreally hping that i wasntgoing to have toburn the wound to makeit stop bleeding. the last thingi did was broughther to the bathroom , wrapped her up in a towel and stuck her head out over the bathtub and carfully started pouring cold water over her comb. i did this for about a minute, stopping every few seconds to make sure she wasnt getting too cold. After i changed towels and held my hen close to me to calm her down. I kept a piece of toilet paper and blotted any blood that was left, but for the most part the cold water slowed down the bleeding enough for it to clot. By this time she was so weak and worn out she stayed pretty calm but i still held her for about 45 min. After, i put her in a dog cage in the bathroom for the night. She's doing fine today, but i will keep her inside for a couple more days. I hope this doesnt happen to anyone, but ifit does, i hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom