Bleeding Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by keaniebeanie, Dec 30, 2009.

1. keaniebeanie

keaniebeanie Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Vermont
    My DH called me at work yesterday to tell me that one of the hens had blood on her head. When I got home I seperated her from the flock and cleaned her up as best I could. Wrapped her in a towel and cleaned her up with a diluted iodine mixture. I am not quite sure how I should go about cleaning the blood from her feathers around the comb and her face. I am not sure if I could use some warm water and syringe. I am afraid of her aspirating. I can't really see too much of an injury and she seems fine, eating and drinking. I think she would be fine back with the others except for the dried blood on her head and face. I put neosporin on the comb and surrounding area. Any suggestions?

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Repeated wiping with a wet wash cloth will eliminate the fear of aspiration. Or you could let it dry really well and maybe it would flake off.

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    As long as there is dried blood or anything red on her face or comb the other will pick at her. Seperate her for a few days and reintroduce her at night so there aren't any problems accepting her. The neosporin is a great idea and will help her heal faster. You can also spray the wound with Blue Kote. The chickens won't peck at the blue color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by