Bleeding feet and broken feathers

Taylermartin

Chirping
Sep 25, 2021
I have two faverolles. I found Norma with a bloody foot from a broken feather. Cleaned her up with an antimicrobial spray and Blu Kote. When I went to close the coop I found HeyHey with the same broken feathers on her foot. Her bleeding was a lot worse and took longer to stop. It finally stopped after I put flour on it and rinsed with cold water. Then same application of antimicrobial and Blu Kote.
Is this typical with birds with feathers on their feet? My brahma didn't have any broken feathers on her feet. I also noticed they were pecking their feet when they were bloody. Will that stop because of the Blu Kote? What would have initiated them to start pecking their feet?

I didn't take any at the time. They are purple now from the BluKote.

20220120_195328.jpg

I'm so sorry. It's so frustrating. I often wish I could just ask them what happened, you know?

I've never had issues of my feather-footed chickens getting picked on like that, but I have read accounts where non-feather-footed chickens have picked on feather-footed flockmates.

Might be worth watching them for an extended amount of time to see if there is picking going on. Then you might be able to separate the main culprit for a bit to reset the pecking order.

It's possible they are getting injured. Might be a good idea to look.around their coop/run to see if there's anything they might be hurting themselves on.

Back
Top Bottom