Bleeding pin feather problem

sariea

Chirping
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
one of my chicks (~8 wks old) was found to have a bleeding tail feather yesterday. I put some stiptic powder on it to stop the bleeding and some peck-no-more because at least 2 of his coopmates had blood on their beaks.

Even with the pick-no-more, it's still being pecked at and re-opened. I had him inside since last night so he can heal, but my husband wants him back outside today. How can I put him back in with the others and make sure he'll be OK?

one of my chicks (~8 wks old) was found to have a bleeding tail feather yesterday. I put some stiptic powder on it to stop the bleeding and some peck-no-more because at least 2 of his coopmates had blood on their beaks.

Even with the pick-no-more, it's still being pecked at and re-opened. I had him inside since last night so he can heal, but my husband wants him back outside today. How can I put him back in with the others and make sure he'll be OK?
Can you see the feather that is bleeding? Pull it out.
Wash up any blood that may be on the feathers, dry the chick well, use a hair dryer if you need to so she doesn't get chilled. Put her back out and see how it goes.

I'm gonna second Wyorp Rock. If you don't pull out the bleeding feather, it won't stop bleeding. Use tweezers to pull out the shaft and apply styptic to the feather hole. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom