Bleeding toe..what do I do?

plus521

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
My rooster, goats and hen were out and about this morning...I found drops of blood on my deck, thought my goats had an injury...then noticed my hen had blood on her beak, then noticed my roo's toe was bleeding...I think the blood on the beak of my hen is from her pecking at the blood spots...I am not sure what my roo did, but will it stop bleeding?? Can I do anything for him??

Probably need to apply pressure, then after it stops bleeding evaluate the injury. Most likely after washing with warm water and some neosporin he'l be fine just make sure the other chickens don't keep pecking at it. If they do you'l have to seperate him.

Ok, so I applied pressure...but as soon as he moves the blood just pours again...he snapped off the tip of his claw, so (what I am guessing, like a dog, his quick is showing,) and that is what is bleeding...do you think I just need to apply pressure longer...??

ok...i tried flour.. i swear it made it worse....but ok...i will give it time..no caps..i have him in my arms now...:0

it stopped! he's being so good..just hope it doesn't open back up when i put him back out..thanks everyone!

i read the thread...what a long ordeal...still not using capitals..typing one handed...with louie in my arms...so sorry u lost her...we only have two chickens right now and they are pets...my kids and i would be heart broken...well, time to put him out...harriets probably lonely...

Last edited:
Well, I researched other threads, and found that superglue is great for things like this..so that is what I used...put two coats on it and so far so good, I also put a dab of vicks vapor rub on it so he wouldn't pick at it...I also take care of a child who's mom is a nurse, she said liquid bandaid is basically the same thing... soooooo good news sooo far!!

good to hear hope he recovers quickly. Blue kote is another med you can use to help with healing and also helps cover the wound so the others don't notice it as much.

Back
Top Bottom