Bleeding toes

Rochie92

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2019
I've got a rooster who I had to bring inside this winter becuase his hens had him nearly picked to death. All healed fine except his toes when we brought him in his two long toes were bleeding .it's been a ongoing thing ever since. Patch him up he's good again except they never seem to heal today one of his toes is bleeding again which is better this time becuase it's only one toe. It's like his knuckle or something the skin doesn't grow back very fast. Or his skin is dry and it cracks open. I'm not sure what to do.

Each time it happens it looks like he loses a fair amount of blood and gets lazy or tired then when he's patched up in a few days he's fine again until it happens again.

I've got a rooster who I had to bring inside this winter becuase his hens had him nearly picked to death. All healed fine except his toes when we brought him in his two long toes were bleeding .it's been a ongoing thing ever since. Patch him up he's good again except they never seem to heal today one of his toes is bleeding again which is better this time becuase it's only one toe. It's like his knuckle or something the skin doesn't grow back very fast. Or his skin is dry and it cracks open. I'm not sure what to do.

Each time it happens it looks like he loses a fair amount of blood and gets lazy or tired then when he's patched up in a few days he's fine again until it happens again.

Try coating the entire legs in petroleum jelly or linseed oil to moisturize in case it's just dry skin, but I'd also put some no-peck lotion (the stinky purple kind) on his wounds as well to make sure the other chickens aren't reopening his scabs and pecking at his feet. The no-peck lotion will also teach the other chickens that pecking chicken flesh = gross. Be careful with that stuff though because it stains like crazy, I used some to mark my laying white silkie's top knot last fall and she still has a pink mohawk!

I've been using polysporin.ill see if I can find some jelly today. I have also used the no pick which is red. He picks it as well when he knows it's bleeding. I'm like dude are you going to do this to yourself until you.bleed to death.

I've been using polysporin.ill see if I can find some jelly today. I have also used the no pick which is red. He picks it as well when he knows it's bleeding. I'm like dude are you going to do this to yourself until you.bleed to death.
Photos would be helpful --- Legs, feet and whole bird please:)

If you actually saw him pecking his toes, to the point of bleeding, I'd venture to say scaly leg mites, such an infestation is both painful and itchy. But why I'm actually stopping by is to say that you likely have a vitamin K deficiency that you need to address, seems like his blood is not coagulating as it should. "A fair amount of blood' loss from superficial wounds like that = vit K deficiency. If the 'dude' has it, then the dudettes must have it too.
So...kale, swiss chard, collard greens, cabbage, broccoli or cucumber, whatever is available should be offered regularly to up the vit K. I assume you have a perfect gentleman, please make sure he doesn't go overboard with the chivalry and he gets his share. If it's actually scaly leg mites, I had success with castor oil.

Back
Top Bottom