Bleeding unknown skin problem, Help!

Blackie2012

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 8, 2012
Hello Folks,

My apology, if this means double posting. I posted the following problem in the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/686820/skin-disease-fungal-viral but so far no response.

We were hoping that with the new post, it would kick the thread to the top of the page, but apparently not so. As we desperately need help, I feel the need to re-post the following as a new thread.

We are encountering something of the same or similar situation as mentioned in the linked thread above, please see the photos below. This morning we found our 6 months old young Croad Langshan rooster bleeding from one of his wounds on his right wing and 6 long wing feathers fell off from the spot. He seems more lethargic than previous days. So we really need help to understand this.

About three weeks ago, the young rooster begin having these wounds on one of the wings, one side of the chest, on the back, and the buttock. At first, we thought he was bitten by some smaller animal, like rat because the bump on his buttock came off along with a few tail feathers and he was all bloodied there. But upon closer examination, we assumed that the dried up bump came loose.

Recently, he began to loose weight and his bright red color from his face. The past few days, his face has become pale and he is not as active as he one was. He still eat and drinks normally. His poop is normal. He is free ranged.
No other birds with him have this condition.

Seems like there is no answer to the question posted in the original linked post. We don't know what the disease is nor what to treat it with either.

@Smoothmule, has there been any additional info posted in the other places where you got the photo from?

Anyone with more knowledge, please help. We hate to entertain the thought that we may lose this specialty young rooster. Thank you very much in advance.

HI - this does not look like something that can be treated with anything that you can find to hand... Without a doubt the best thing to do is to contact LIBBY at Retford Poultry.
http://www.retfordpoultry.com/team.html
If you speak to her and describe the symptoms she will probably ask you to send a sample of the skin problem in the post and she will examine under a scope and give appropriate advice. I cannot recommend Retford Poultry highly enough - i used them a few years ago and they were just simply brilliant..
You are much better to contact the experts than just contacting your normal vet that may not have the knowledge and just simply guess...
I did not find them expensive either and at least you will get an answer to the problem rather than a .. it could be this is could be that...

I am not a Vet but my thoughts are along the line of Fowl Pox...

Really pleased to see you are wearing gloves - this definitely looks virus like..

In the meantime I would put the birds all on Apple Cider Vinegar - it will at least help them until the correct treatment is administered.

( i know someone locally once told me she her flock had fowl pox - i would not let her come here to collect her food etc - instead left it at the end of the drive for her as I was so paranoid - she understood.. after they were all treated with injections they were clear)

Its something I don't know a lot about but please give Libby a call and she will sort you out definitely one way or the other - also ask her after the birds are treated if they should be bred from...

Only becuase I know these things can lie dormant and may pass on to future youngsters and thats the last thing you want to do with a breed as rare as a croad langshan...

Hope this helps.

Bev

Just had another look at photos and wondering if it is a carcinoma of some type? Or ring worm type growth...
Best to just contact Libby - no point guessing..
Could you let me know how you get along - its good to learn.
Bev

Bev,

Thank you so very much for the prompt support.

Forgot to mention that we based in the northeastern region of the United States (Ohio, to be specific), so wondering if you or anyone here know of anyone with the equivalent of expertise as Libby's?

Do you have more specific info as to what med(s) the local friend/acquaintaince there used to treat her/his chickens with -- the one you left chicken feed on the drive way for?

Yes, we'll definitely keep this community dated on the course of this situation. Thank you once again.

Hi, Bev and friends,

The young rooster become more and more lethargic now as we have yet found anything to help him. It is sad to see such pretty bird losing its liveliness.

If any one have any suggestion, please kindly let us know. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom