Bleeding Vent!!!!!

6PeckinChickens

Previously User476933
May 5, 2017
Utah
IMG_9719.JPG
My Queen Latifah has a bleeding vent!! We have got a blood smeared egg from her today. She is bleeding and the other girls are pecking her. I'm running to the store to buy a wire dog crate to separate her from the others. I've read on here to do warm epson salt baths and antibiotic ointment. Is there anything else I should do?!

Hubby won't let me spend the money on a vet. He grew up on a farm and would rather take an axe to her. I ran to Cal-Ranch and got some stuff for her, going to separate her and hope for the best!

It is prolapsed also on the bottom. I didn't want to push it back in until I'm sure that it's clean and the bleeding has stopped. We have her set up in a wire dog crate. I bought Vetericyn Plus Wound and Skin Care, Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Hydrogel and BlueKote. Might be a little overkill like the hubby said, but I want to cover everything!

Would it be safe to do the warm epson salt bath tomorrow or should I wait for the bleeding to stop and scab over? (it has slowed) And at what point should I push the prolapsed vent back in? She has had 3 small bowel movements.

It is prolapsed also on the bottom. I didn't want to push it back in until I'm sure that it's clean and the bleeding has stopped. We have her set up in a wire dog crate. I bought Vetericyn Plus Wound and Skin Care, Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Hydrogel and BlueKote. Might be a little overkill like the hubby said, but I want to cover everything!

Would it be safe to do the warm epson salt bath tomorrow or should I wait for the bleeding to stop and scab over? (it has slowed) And at what point should I push the prolapsed vent back in? She has had 3 small bowel movements.

Is it still bleeding?

If it's prolapsed, keep the wound moist with your ointment/vetericyn.
Does she seem to be in distress-like she has an egg stuck?
You can give her a soak in epsom salts to help soothe her and clean her up if you wish. Then keep the tissue moist-you don't want it to dry out.

BlueKote is good, but save that for later-for me, it stains severe wounds too much so it's hard to see if there is infection or some other issue that need to be addressed. It will come in very handy for when she goes back out or in the future for minor cuts/scrapes-so no waste there.

@Wyorp Rock
I just got home from work and am going to check her before I go to bed, so ill let you know about the bleeding.

We got an egg from her yesterday before we pulled her from the coop, so I know she's not egg bound. I'm going to just spray the area with epson salt water to clean it. I also stopped by the store on my way home to get some PreparationH.

Should I have her on an antibiotic for this?

@Wyorp Rock
I just got home from work and am going to check her before I go to bed, so ill let you know about the bleeding.

We got an egg from her yesterday before we pulled her from the coop, so I know she's not egg bound. I'm going to just spray the area with epson salt water to clean it. I also stopped by the store on my way home to get some PreparationH.

Should I have her on an antibiotic for this?

It may not hurt to have some antibiotics, what do you have on hand?
That's a good idea to spray the wound with salt water to clean it. I would pat it dry afterward, then spray on the Vetericyn. Once the Vetericyn dries, then apply your PrepH to keep it moist. The worry is you don't want that tissue (some of it may be oviduct) to dry out-if it does, it will become necrotic.

I'm sure you have her separated-cover her crate with a towel or similar to darken it so she stays calmer. Ideally she should be in a darkened room-limiting the amount of light she has (no more than 8hours) to discourage laying until she heals. She probably already has an egg on the way, so keep watch on her for that, it may cause her to prolapse more, you never know.

Encourage her to drink, dehydration makes it worse. If you have poultry vitamins, put those in her water or direct dose her.

Update: Queen Latifahs' prolapsed vent stopped bleeding, thank God. We took her out to be with the girls for 30 min and she showed her dominance (she's the Queen). She seems to be feeling well but she also ran for the coop and jumped in the favorite nest box! We let her hang out with the girls for a bit.
We took her back into the garage where we have her cage set up. I used a water bottle and poked a hole in the top of the lid so I could spray it with some pressure. She seemed to not mind it after a couple of minutes.
I got the prolapse to go back in but it came back out a couple of minutes after I set her down on the floor. I didn't want to wrap her since she's possibly going to lay an egg. So we're going to limit her sunlight to stop that process.
The hubby is going to check on her and make sure the area is moist since I work graves and it's my bedtime. Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well!
@Wyorp Rock I have tablets of Ciproflaxin 500 mg for humans. I can call my vet and see if he'd help me out! What do you recommend?
Also, her poop is still solid, but the uric acid seems watered down and a bit slimy, what do you think is causing that?
She is separated and partially covered. My hubby says her new name is Jail Bird Thank you so much for your expertise, we (Queen Latifah and I) appreciate it so very much!!!

Update: Queen Latifahs' prolapsed vent stopped bleeding, thank God. We took her out to be with the girls for 30 min and she showed her dominance (she's the Queen). She seems to be feeling well but she also ran for the coop and jumped in the favorite nest box! We let her hang out with the girls for a bit.
We took her back into the garage where we have her cage set up. I used a water bottle and poked a hole in the top of the lid so I could spray it with some pressure. She seemed to not mind it after a couple of minutes.
I got the prolapse to go back in but it came back out a couple of minutes after I set her down on the floor. I didn't want to wrap her since she's possibly going to lay an egg. So we're going to limit her sunlight to stop that process.
The hubby is going to check on her and make sure the area is moist since I work graves and it's my bedtime. Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well!
@Wyorp Rock I have tablets of Ciproflaxin 500 mg for humans. I can call my vet and see if he'd help me out! What do you recommend?
Also, her poop is still solid, but the uric acid seems watered down and a bit slimy, what do you think is causing that?
She is separated and partially covered. My hubby says her new name is Jail Bird Thank you so much for your expertise, we (Queen Latifah and I) appreciate it so very much!!!

It can take several days for the swelling to reduce enough for a prolapse to stay in. You're doing good. Keep it moist with the ointments and try to keep her as clean as you can.

She may also benefit from extra calcium for a few days (TUMS, Caltrate, etc.) this helps with contractions and retention of the oviduct.

As for antibiotics, it's always best to consult your vet if possible-they can prescribe the right medication for your unique situation. Ciprofloxacin is banned for use in poultry. If vet care is not available, then I would try Penicillin or Amoxicillin.

Back
Top Bottom