Bleeding Vent!!!!!

@Wyorp Rock good to know! I'll go and get her some tums. How much calcium should I give her in 24 hours?
My Husband took her back out to socialize with the others for a bit while he had time to chicken sit. She mounted one of my RIRs and started biting her comb. She stayed in the yard and wouldn't go into the coop/prision yard or pasture with the others. This was all after she laid an egg and we've decided to take her back out anymore. Do you think it's a dominance thing or it's because she knows she's sick and is trying to protect herself?

@Wyorp Rock good to know! I'll go and get her some tums. How much calcium should I give her in 24 hours?
My Husband took her back out to socialize with the others for a bit while he had time to chicken sit. She mounted one of my RIRs and started biting her comb. She stayed in the yard and wouldn't go into the coop/prision yard or pasture with the others. This was all after she laid an egg and we've decided to take her back out anymore. Do you think it's a dominance thing or it's because she knows she's sick and is trying to protect herself?

Usually I will give 1 TUMS or 1/2tab of Caltrate once a day for 3days max. I've found that crushed and sprinkled over egg works best (TUMS does not dissolved in water).

The mounting of the RIR, to me is dominance. If your girl is top hen, then she is making sure they know it.

A94460E1-4D00-4559-A6EA-E0D4F771DABD.jpeg
BB8B2163-D0EA-468E-892B-0EFD6BCF882E.jpeg
I haven’t been on in a few days. My phone broke and I couldn’t back it up so I lost everything! UGH

Queen Latifah is still a “jail bird” I’ve been cleaning her prolapsed vent. I can get it to go back in but it doesn’t stay in for long. I’ve even sat there and held it for a couple of minutes and it will still pop back out. It had a hard spot on it, but it looks a lot better now! Do you have any suggestions on how I can get the prolapse to stay in?

Sorry the second pic is yucky, I took it before I cleaned her.

She laid her last egg on Sunday. We’ve been keeping her in the dark a lot and letting her get sunlight and fresh air for a couple hours a day.

I do have antibiotics that she can take. The ones I have are capsules, so how many milligrams should I give her? How often? For how long?

I checked her before I came to work and the prolapse stayed in!!!!! I'm so happy and excited!!!! :celebrate:ya:yesss::highfive:I think I am going to keep her for another 3 days to a week though. I want to make sure she doesn't lay an egg (her comb is still bright red) and I want to make sure that she doesn't get an infection, develop sepsis or prolapse again.

I have Amoxicillin for humans. It is a 500 Mg capsule, I was thinking I could open it to dilute with water and measure it out and give it to her orally.

Thank you! I’m so relieved.

Thank you for the info! I’m thinking it would it be easier for me to get the penicillin injection. Isn’t that once a day for 4 days? What would you do? And with giving her antibiotics, do I need to throw out her egg?

You can use Procaine Penicillin G at 1/4ml injected into the breast muscle 1/4" deep daily for 4days. Use a 20guage needle and alternate sides daily.

Since Penicillin is not labeled for use in poultry, I would use the longest throwaway period listed for use in livestock - according to drugs.com that would 14days for cattle:D So throw out the eggs for 14days after last day of treatment. IF you have anyone in your family that consumes eggs that is allergic to Penicillin, then consider a longer period.
Make sense?

You can use Procaine Penicillin G at 1/4ml injected into the breast muscle 1/4" deep daily for 4days. Use a 20guage needle and alternate sides daily.

Since Penicillin is not labeled for use in poultry, I would use the longest throwaway period listed for use in livestock - according to drugs.com that would 14days for cattle:D So throw out the eggs for 14days after last day of treatment. IF you have anyone in your family that consumes eggs that is allergic to Penicillin, then consider a longer period.
Make sense?

Makes sense! Thank you so much for your help!!!

Do you think it would be safe to not do an antibiotic since I did the spray?

Makes sense! Thank you so much for your help!!!

Do you think it would be safe to not do an antibiotic since I did the spray?

You don't have to administer antibiotics, a lot of people don't with a prolapse - if she seems to be doing well, eating/drinking, acting normal, then you may want to see how she does.
If you notice an odor of infection or she becomes lethargic or seem sick, then give the antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom