Bleenie Gal is broody again!!

PlumTuckered

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 27, 2007
Arkansas
Last time Bleenie went broody she sat on that nest for 41 days with no results...not sure what happened. I know my drake is topping all of the girls quite frequently however when she last went broody we still had temps in the 100's. Well she is now on day two of full out broodiness. She's so comical, she barks at all of the other ducks when they walk by her "window" on her nesting box but she loves when I lift the lid and pet her or bring her some catfood. I love this dang duck SO much! She is still my lap duck, I thought she had outgrown it but that only lasted a few weeks, she'll come running when she sees me and follow me all over the yard and pasture. Crossing my fingers that all goes well for her this time, she seems to want to be a Mamma something awful.

Michelle

I had no idea I was expecting!
lol.png

I hope she does a great job this time and comes strolling out with a bucket full of babies to brighten up the place! My fingers are definitely crossed for her
fl.gif
!

Last time Bleenie went broody she sat on that nest for 41 days with no results...not sure what happened. I know my drake is topping all of the girls quite frequently however when she last went broody we still had temps in the 100's. Well she is now on day two of full out broodiness. She's so comical, she barks at all of the other ducks when they walk by her "window" on her nesting box but she loves when I lift the lid and pet her or bring her some catfood. I love this dang duck SO much! She is still my lap duck, I thought she had outgrown it but that only lasted a few weeks, she'll come running when she sees me and follow me all over the yard and pasture. Crossing my fingers that all goes well for her this time, she seems to want to be a Mamma something awful.

Michelle

fl.gif
pop.gif

DuckGirl, if she hatches this batch it will be her first. This is her second time going broody. She's almost 11 months old.

Bleenie...LOL you tickle me!! She looks so cute spread out on her nest, shoot she almost looks twice her actual width, today she started pulling down from her chest and believe it or not even pulled some from her back (between what I would call the shoulder blades). She's got her nest quite cozy looking. I've been putting a small pile of fresh hay in the empty half of the nesting box in case she feels she needs/wants more. When your girls go broody in the duck house, do you keep the other ducks out or let them go in it to sleep at night? I've got 2 duck houses in my pen, the big wooden one that we built, it has the nesting box built into the side of it and that's where Bleenie is. My other duck house is a huge ironworks box that my husband built years ago and we've got it covered with tarp and blanket to keep the winds out. My other three Scovies insist on sleeping in the iron box while Scrappy and Maggie still prefer to be in the wooden house with Bleenie. Bleenie doesn't fuss when Scrappy and Maggie go in there at bedtime and when she's not broody those are the two ducks she hangs out with but she sure kicks up a fuss if the other Scovies even stick their heads in to say hi to her LOL I think when it gets close to hatching time I'll start training Scrappy and Maggie to go into the iron box with the others and close up the wooden house. I'll put feed and water dishes in the wire screened porch for Bleenie and the babies for the first few days then open the house up so she can bring them out when she wants to.

Thank you for keeping your fingers crossed Bleenie and MissLydia!!!!

Michelle

I let mine back into the hosue to sleep. I have smaller boxes that only fit one duck though so they don't really bother eachother. I have had mommas & babies go back to sleep in the boxes though. :)

Good luck!!! I hope she has a successful hatch!!!

My quackers had like 2 or 3 clutches that never produced any babies either. The only clutch she ever hatched was the one my poor Alicia girl was in.

Back
Top Bottom