Bless Their Heart... And Other Southern Sayings

Has anyone brought up "nary"? As in "ain't nary a one a them chirrun got a lick a sense".

How about "cutting on" the lights? I could see cutting them off, but cutting them on always seemed backwards to me (but then I was really born in the North).

my father when saying numbers...zero was naut.... has anyone ever heard of this? My father, bless his heart, only went to the 2nd grade, he was the 10th child of 12. He taught himself to read and write and he also wasn't bad with mathmatics. Self taught. The only thing is the zero .... I knew what he meant so I just didn't say anything... Is that a southern word for zero?

Quote:
I dunno, I think it's common enough but I dunno if it's limited to the south. I always heard "aut" instead, without the n in front. As in a 30-06 rifle is 30 - aut 6

Quote:
I dunno, I think it's common enough but I dunno if it's limited to the south. I always heard "aut" instead, without the n in front. As in a 30-06 rifle is 30 - aut 6

maybe that was it... Getting a bit old here..
gig.gif
My father has been dead for 25 years... some things just fade away..
hit.gif

Quote:
My Mom always said naut or aut for zero. We are not from the south, from Wyoming then to Washington. It is funny how you grow up hearing things like that and not think it unusual, until we all get to talking about it. I love this thread, have heard and most likely used most of these sayings, plus many more.

Skeeter

Quote:
My Mom always said naut or aut for zero. We are not from the south, from Wyoming then to Washington. It is funny how you grow up hearing things like that and not think it unusual, until we all get to talking about it. I love this thread, have heard and most likely used most of these sayings, plus many more.

Skeeter

It think I have seen episodes of Andy Griffith where Goober or Gomer was ciphering and using aut or naut..it is hard to tell... but they say some southern saying in that show also... My father would cipher alot...
lol.png

Ok, I know this thread has not been posting but I had to get this one out.... There is a saying that my father always said to me that...I have said to my children and now to my grandchildren..When bombarded with the "WHY" question I will say," Cat fer to make kitten britches.."... has anyone else heard of this? My grandson.. is smart... so he will reply with, " well make them then"

Back
Top Bottom