Bless Their Heart... And Other Southern Sayings

Someone had mentioned "chesterdrawers".... I remember my father having a huge chesterdrawers in his room... also he would call the toliet the "commode?" and the sofa a "davonet".. Does anyone recall these?

Well, praise the Lord and pass the potatoes! (It means "thank goodness!")
big_smile.png

Also, "Good Lord willin' and the crick don't rise"

Last edited:
My Mom use to say "I'll slap you into next week" She usually meant it too!
tongue.png

I use to tell my kids and grandkids, that I would "Knock them into next week and forget to pick them up again" But this was said in good humor, My Granddaughter, told me once that I had the funniest sayings. I am not even from the south! She liked this one: "Save your neck for dessert" My step dad use to say "I'll jump down your throat and dance on your liver"
There are a lots more that I grew up with and altered somewhat for my kids and grandkids, don't know where I learned them as the fartherest south I ever got was South Seattle growing up!
lol.png

Skeeter

Quote:
Yeah my dad had one of those too!!! I think the chifferrobe was the big cedar lined closet ,that we call armoires ,he had in his room too. We didn't have but one closet in the whole house and that was in my room under the stairs. It was a cedar lined cabinet,armoire, closet whatever... in his room with clothes and pictures...etc. I remember him saying go get it in the chifferobe... the chesterdrawers was the chest that he put his drawers in , I guess....
gig.gif

Quote:
My grandmother called the sofa the davenport. It was always the commode when I was a kid. And I called it a chesterdrawers when I was a kid and my mother corrected me. But it still always sounded like chesterdrawers.

Yep, in Tennessee we had chifferobes, commodes, and usually a chesterdrawers in the bedroom. Matching furniture was a "bedroom suit", which I thought was silly because we lived in the country and hardly anybody wore a suit. Often saw a jacket over a set of bib overhalls though, but only at funerals. Before we got commodes, we had thunder mugs to use during the night. Anyway, I still see newspaper ads for a furniture suit or a chesterdrawers, so they still exist. Haven't seen a thunder mug in a coon's age, though, 'cause we all have commodes now.

Last edited:
Well here is one you might like.

Everythings chicken but the gravy and it's half chicken. As in;

"hows it going."

"Oh everythings chicken but the gravy and it's half chicken."

Meaning every thing is going great.

Here is another.

Dumber than a mud fence.

Hahaha, my momma used to say you can say pretty much anything about anyone... as long as you follow it with "Bless his/her heart..." LOL. I use it all the time.

This thread just made me " happy as a tick on a houndogs back " And one I use but could never figure out, in frustration my GM would loudly exclaim " Well, for garden seed ". And then there is the saying that made me(as a young adult) stop taking her to the store, When asked how she was doing she would reply " Well, I shot my wad for the day", meaning she was tired.

Micah

Back
Top Bottom