Blind baby chick

Update
He pooped today! It was more liquid than anything but it was something. It's the first poop he's taken since he got here. He does this weird sneeze thing after he drinks and I'm scared he's gonna choke. I take watering him really slow but it still happens. I also noticed a few bubbles coming out of his mouth when feeding him this morning. Is this something I should be concerned about? I will go to the store later and get some saline solution and see if I can get a look at the damage. Thank you for all the help so far I really do appreciate it!!

Update
He pooped today! It was more liquid than anything but it was something. It's the first poop he's taken since he got here. He does this weird sneeze thing after he drinks and I'm scared he's gonna choke. I take watering him really slow but it still happens. I also noticed a few bubbles coming out of his mouth when feeding him this morning. Is this something I should be concerned about? I will go to the store later and get some saline solution and see if I can get a look at the damage. Thank you for all the help so far I really do appreciate it!!
@Eggcessive and @Wyorp Rock would know more about that. It could be the start of an upper respiratory infection brought on from the stress of being injured. But you would have to ask them for sure cause they are amazing educators. I read a lot of their stuff and keep it in mind when tending to my own chickens.

Update
I just rinsed with saline and I think he may actually have eyes under all the crust. I'm not gonna get my hopes up until I know for sure. I wasn't able to do very much today but I'm gonna reapply neosporin tonight and tomorrow morning then try again when it's softer. He drank a little bit of the saline when I was doing it but not very much. Is that a problem?

You have two of the best resources in the world here in Wyorp and Eggcessive - they will tell you everything you need to know. I cant tell from the pics, but I'd imagine eventually the chick will have some sort of vision.

But if the chick is blind and you are willing to work with it, then every life is worth saving! It would be a more challenging life, no doubt, but certainly an interesting and fulfilling one.

You have two of the best resources in the world here in Wyorp and Eggcessive - they will tell you everything you need to know. I cant tell from the pics, but I'd imagine eventually the chick will have some sort of vision.

But if the chick is blind and you are willing to work with it, then every life is worth saving! It would be a more challenging life, no doubt, but certainly an interesting and fulfilling one.
Yes I am willing to care for it as much as I need. My grandma has a pen made for injured chickens that it can live in when it grows up. It's not super large and everything stays the same in there. There's also normally at least one other chicken in there so they wouldn't be alone

Yes I am willing to care for it as much as I need. My grandma has a pen made for injured chickens that it can live in when it grows up. It's not super large and everything stays the same in there. There's also normally at least one other chicken in there so they wouldn't be alone
Good for you. Chickens are so much more cognizant of the world around them than what people think. They certainly do have tunnel vision in life in terms of their needs, but they really are emotionally connected to their surroundings and companions (which includes you 😉)

You will have a very grateful friend for this.

Back
Top Bottom