Blind baby chick

I think he might have a respiratory infection. When he drinks he seems to struggle to swallow. He starts doing a sneeze thing and sometimes liquid comes out. Sometimes he starts getting bubbles at his mouth and if you tip his head down a clear mucus type substance comes our. He also seems to have a weird clicky sound when he's swallowing. If this does sound like a respiratory how can I help him?

He does this weird sneeze thing after he drinks and I'm scared he's gonna choke. I take watering him really slow but it still happens. I also noticed a few bubbles coming out of his mouth when feeding him this morning. Is this something I should be concerned about?

I think he might have a respiratory infection. When he drinks he seems to struggle to swallow. He starts doing a sneeze thing and sometimes liquid comes out. Sometimes he starts getting bubbles at his mouth and if you tip his head down a clear mucus type substance comes our. He also seems to have a weird clicky sound when he's swallowing. If this does sound like a respiratory how can I help him?
Have you been able to get the eyes open?

How are you giving food and water? Are you holding him, syringing fluids or?

I'd try holding a cup up to his beak and see if he will drink on his own. Offer wet chick starter to eat.

The clicking sounds like he may have aspirated fluids.

I'd try holding a cup up to his beak and see if he will drink on his own. Offer wet chick starter to eat.

I was able to open them some but I'm not sure if I got them all the way. It could just be the swelling though. I was giving him water through an eye dropper but I started holding a spoon of it in front of his face and letting him drink on his own. I assume what my grandma gave me is chick starter. I make it into a mush and try and get him to eat some but normally I can only get a little bit of it into him. I also give him the more watery brown stuff from the mush through a syringe. My grandma gave me some tetroxy powder in case of a respiratory infection. I wasn't sure of he was even gonna make it last night but he's doing a little better. She told me to just give him a pinch of it with some water and I did. She also gave me some quik chik which I haven't given him yet

I admire you for taking sure good care of Blink. I have had many "special needs" critters and birds; I've honestly been offended when people have told me to put them down. (I currently have a cat born without eyes and a blind rescue dog). Animals don't know that they're "different," but if any critter has a will to live, why not help it survive?

My very best wishes for you and this baby! And, congrats that Blink has eyes!

I admire you for taking sure good care of Blink. I have had many "special needs" critters and birds; I've honestly been offended when people have told me to put them down. (I currently have a cat born without eyes and a blind rescue dog). Animals don't know that they're "different," but if any critter has a will to live, why not help it survive?

My very best wishes for you and this baby! And, congrats that Blink has eyes!
Thank you very much this means a lot. I knew I couldn't let him die without giving him a good chance first. He's definitely got a ways to go but as long as he keeps fighting I'm gonna support him

I gave him some water mixed with quik chick this morning that he drank on his own of a spoon and he still had one of his episodes after

I'm unsure on how much and often it should be fed.

Since no-one answered this yet:
You can feel the chick's crop to get an idea of how full it is (at the base of the neck, a little to one side of center front). Feel some of the healthy chicks for comparison. You will probably notice that their crops range from almost empty to completely stuffed and hard. Aim for something in between, because you want it to have food in the crop to digest, but you don't want to force it to be overstuffed.

How often to feed would depend on how soon the crop is empty again. Chickens usually prefer to nibble frequently during the day, so they are never really empty or completely full, but they naturally stuff themselves before bed and then go all night before eating breakfast. Feeding it in several meals, rather than nibbles all day long, can also be fine.

So glad that Blink has eyes. Have you been able to put Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment into it‘s eyes? It sounds like you are doing a good job helping the chick.
Yesterday and today I've been putting plain neosporin around the eyes. I didn't put it directly in them though. I also was able to open them all the way and he has full eyes. They closed about halfway though so I assume they are still swollen. Is it possible for them to get air bubbles trapped in their crop? I feel like if all this was happening in his lungs he wouldn't still be here. And this really only happens when he's being fed/watered. I'm trying my hardest to help him out with what I have.

Last edited:
Yesterday and today I've been putting plain neosporin around the eyes. I didn't put it directly in them though. I also was able to open them all the way and he has full eyes. They closed about halfway though so I assume they are still swollen. Is it possible for them to get air bubbles trapped in their crop? I feel like if all this was happening in his lungs he wouldn't still be here. And this really only happens when he's being fed/watered. I'm only 14 so I'm trying my hardest to help him out with what I have.
You're doing great.

You can put it right over his eyes. Seems like it might make him uncomfortable with goop in there, but it will probably give him some relief. It will work it's way around and out of his eyes.

Back
Top Bottom