Blind baby chick

I think the mucus issue is actually a problem with his crop not his lungs. After he drinks what I assume is his crop gets full of liquid and even slight pressure creates a weird noise with bubbles in the mouth and i have to bend him down so the mucus falls out and wont choke him. Is this something wrong with his crop or is it due to not having really any solid foods? I'm trying to get more mush into him but he makes it hard cuz it seems like he doesn't even really know how to eat just drink. I haven't been wanting to force feed him because I'm scared of him choking. If I'm right and it's not respiratory should I continue the antibiotics just to be safe?

Does his nose look messed up or scabbed over?

Attachments

• 20230530_131259.jpg
    20230530_131259.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230530_131216.jpg
    20230530_131216.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230530_131538.jpg
    20230530_131538.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230530_131555.jpg
    20230530_131555.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230530_131604.jpg
    20230530_131604.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 17
I would try to put the ointment into his eyes. They may have some infection or he could have an upper respiratory tract infection causing all of the mucus and eye or nasal drainage. You could try wiping off any secretions from his face or nostrils with a wet Kleenex. The tetroxy may help a respiratory infection. Tylan is a little better, and can be given into his beak. You could make some little feed balls, small enough to place in his beak. Or try to get him to peck some crumble off the floor. The mucus issue does not sound good. Let us know how he is doing. You are very mature and should be proud of yourself.

I would try to put the ointment into his eyes. They may have some infection or he could have an upper respiratory tract infection causing all of the mucus and eye or nasal drainage. You could try wiping off any secretions from his face or nostrils with a wet Kleenex. The tetroxy may help a respiratory infection. Tylan is a little better, and can be given into his beak. You could make some little feed balls, small enough to place in his beak. Or try to get him to peck some crumble off the floor. The mucus issue does not sound good. Let us know how he is doing. You are very mature and should be proud of yourself.
Ok I will continue the antibiotics. How often and for how long should I give them? So far he's gotten 2 doses. Is it something that should be given in doses or something that should be given in all the water he drinks? I have the same questions about the chik quik. I will try the little food balls. The most recent time I gave him water I didn't let him drink as much and he seemed to do better after. There was no mucus just a little gasping. Thank you I'm so scared I'm doing something wrong but im trying really hard to help him out.

I'm only [age] so I'm trying my hardest to help him out with what I have.

You are very mature for [age], and should be proud of yourself.

I suggest editing those posts, and any that quote them, to remove the ages.
There should be an "edit" button at the bottom of each of your posts for 24 hours after you made the post, or longer if you have a premium feather membership.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/help/terms/
This page says "Do not post overly personal information like your phone number, address, age, or any other overly personal info."

My grandma gave me some tetroxy powder in case of a respiratory infection.

Ok I will continue the antibiotics. How often and for how long should I give them? So far he's gotten 2 doses. Is it something that should be given in doses or something that should be given in all the water he drinks? I have the same questions about the chik quik. I will try the little food balls. The most recent time I gave him water I didn't let him drink as much and he seemed to do better after. There was no mucus just a little gasping. Thank you I'm so scared I'm doing something wrong but im trying really hard to help him out.

Is the dosing for the Tetroxy on your package? If not, you can look it up HERE. If you are giving him the antibiotic, then it needs to be given in all the water he drinks.

What is your question about the Chik Quik? I would not mix it with the antibiotic if that's the question.

Do you have any poultry nutri-drench? I'd use that and give him 2-3 drops twice a day direct dose.

I hope this sweet little one pulls through.

Is the dosing for the Tetroxy on your package? If not, you can look it up HERE. If you are giving him the antibiotic, then it needs to be given in all the water he drinks.

What is your question about the Chik Quik? I would not mix it with the antibiotic if that's the question.

Do you have any poultry nutri-drench? I'd use that and give him 2-3 drops twice a day direct dose.

I hope this sweet little one pulls through.
I have tetroxy 25 which I don't see on the list. The instructions on the package are for large doses. I do not have any nutri drench.

Attachments

• 20230531_080541.jpg
    20230531_080541.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230531_080640.jpg
    20230531_080640.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 8
I was doing some digging and wondering if this could be something like sourcrop? Is that even possible in a chick this young. If so is there a way to treat it that wont hurt him if I'm wrong?

I'm pretty sure this is a crop issue. This most recent feed I put I tiny bit of pressure on it to check if that's what it is and bubbles came out of his mouth immediately. I had to pit him upside down so it would come out. It was pretty much clear but with like a brownish tint and some pieces of food. What could this be? Is there a way I can treat it? If he can't keep food and water in his crop then I know he's not gonna make it.

Back
Top Bottom