Blind Baby Duck?

I hatched out some baby ducks that come from our mature ducks.
I have noticed one is kind of a runt. Well, he's about 2 days old. Usually by now they are looking up at you, usually squirming into a corner, ect. He seems to keep to himself, likes being picked up... I just noticed his eyes look strange... I have noticed they have been more squinted & one closes up but they look different... I don't know how to describe it... I will try to take a picture in alittle bit when I have time. Just taking a break from cleaning cages...
How do you know if they are blind? What would cause this?

Thank You,
Tori
I wash all of my eggs that go into the incubator. The enviroment is too good a place for bacteria to grow and cause problems later. You could try adding a good poultry vitamin to his water, as well as a good feed for waterfowl. This will probably go away soon. The info Miss Lydia gave you is very good! You can even use a human saline nasal spray to do this. Just squirt it onto a cloth or paper towel and wipe the eye a couple of times a day. It should clear up fairly quickly.

Last edited:
I just asked my neighbor how the duck is doing and she said it died:(
I'm sorry to hear it, might have been born with an infection. Sad though
sad.png

one of my 3 week old black Swedish ducks got attacked by a raccoon poor guy his right eye is gone and I think the left is beyond repair. I got all the cuts cleaned up and he is going to survive but what do I need to do for him (special care). From what I can tell he is totally blind and follows his family around by there sound what should I do.

Back
Top Bottom