Blind chick...

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I have a day old chick that is missing an eye. The other eye looked ok when it hatched, but now it is just cloudy looking. I need to cull this chick, rather than just let it starve. The problem is I don't really know how. Any advice?

Get some starter fluid (ether) , spray a rag liberally with it and place the rag and the chick in a airtight covered container like a coffee can. Be sure and do this outside.

If I cull a small chick I place them in a container with a lid and then put it in the freezer. As the chicks body temp drops it becomes very sleepy and dozes off never to wake again. An old timer told me about this method and it seemed much safer and environmentally safe to me than the ether method which I only use if the chick is older or is grown.

Last edited:
grab legs, hit head on hard object quick.. Painless and quick, or a BB gun to the head. can also wring their neck, And kill the any other way as a full grown chicken,

-Daniel

We have a blind rooster, and he's the best when it comes to taking care of the babies. He finds his food better then a starving person.
He gets just fine to his water,etc
Why do you want to kill it? because it's blind? because you don't want to have a special needs bird?

Quote:
No it's not that. I just figured it would starve to death not being able to see. I don't want that to happen, so I figured I would take care of it before that happens.

Do you possibly have a disease like Marek's going on with the chick? You may wish to find out quickly, as it is contagious.

If you decide to cull a chick (for whatever reason), I believe Miss Prissy has recommended very sharp kitchen (meat) shears to remove the head quickly and mercifully. You might PM her for more info.

Back
Top Bottom