Blind chick?

Chicken_Lover4567

Songster
11 Years
Jun 22, 2008
Central Texas
Okay, so yesterday I convinced my dad to get me 10 more chickens. Horray. XD Even though I said oh, I'll just go *look* at the chicks. 5 minutes later, we were driving away with brand new fuzzy butts from the feed store. But um, yeah anyway. one of our little barred rock chicks will not open um her eyes. She stays near the others, who sort of look after her. But when she does occasionally open her little eyes up, they're all...cloudly. Is she blind? If so, what do you think I should do? My brother says I should cull her, but is there another option?

Get some saline eye wash solution and wash her eyes out. It is cheap at walmartor drug store. If she is just blind, I believe she can still live a good life. She will probably end up with a 'buddy' to 'help' her about. Give her a few days washhing her eyes out 3-4 x a day and see how she is then. I have homing pigeon that flies quite well and is blind.

Thanks for responding!
big_smile.png
And I'll try that. And yes, I would only cull it if it absolutely could not make it. I called my brother heartless and insensitive of course.
wink.png
i've been watching it closely and making sure it eats and drinks and stays under the lamp.

Last edited:
If the chick is truely blind or severly seeing impaired it is really important that you always put the food and water on the same spot. Also when you change the the F/W put the chick right beside the F/W tap on the bowls to make a noise and dip the beak into the food and water.

Back
Top Bottom