PaleoMiner

Hatching
May 18, 2020
I recently rescued 6 egg layers from a large scale farm that were going to be destroyed due to egg demand shortages caused by the illness that shares a name with an alcoholic beverage. I don't know the breed, but I know they are roughly 2 years old and have floppy combs. One of them has a cataract in their right eye and unfortunately for this chicken her floppy comb constantly rests over her left eye(good eye) making her unable to see. The other chickens have bounced back after taking them home from their situation and look good, but she's having trouble due to this issue. Is their anything I can do to humanely stop her comb from flopping over her good eye?

Note: I've tried rubberbands and she hates it.

20200521_112214.jpg
20200521_112210.jpg 20200521_112222.jpg

Here are some images. My fiance also did some research and she says that they're probably Leghorns. I would also like to note that I've been giving her special attention the past few days, feeding her mealworms, correcting her comb for her, and helping guide her to water and such, and she's really flourishing. The other chickens have stopped picking on her and now seem to guard her from me because Leghorns aren't social with people, and she just looks like she's in better condition now. The cloudiness in her cataract has actually started clearing up too, so I think if things continue she'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom