Blind Chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shawnna R, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Shawnna R

Shawnna R Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2013
    A few months ago I had a chicken (Light Brahama) that was pecked nearly to death. I had to isolate her and nursed her back to health (It is a miracle she is alive) I still have her separated and have noticed recently she acts a little strange. In the morning the feels her way down the ramp, she feels around until she find her food and water (Which I keep in the same spot so she can find them) At night she feels around until she finds the ramp and goes up into the roosting area. I started to wonder if she was blind; she freaks out if you pick her up, but as soon as she is in your arms she is fine. She does not flinch or show any signs if you wave your hands around her, and if she isn't in her coop she seems very confused. If she is left in her coop she is fine, and I don't have the heart to put her down. But is there anything I can do? She is such a sweetheart, and I don't plan on putting her back with my flock, she is doing just fine taking care of herself, but how do i know for sure she is blind?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I don't know how you'd tell for sure that she's 100% blind. Except maybe put another chicken in with her and see if she tries to flee it. There's every chance she's at least a little sight impaired. She might heal and recover the sight though, but even if she doesn't she's managing to eat and drink unassisted so perhaps she has some sight or can manage blind. She may go broody and be a good foster mother to raise tame chicks. Severe damage or illness often provokes the reproductive instinct in creatures that survive such life altering events, even if they come from non-maternal stock. You don't need to cull her just due to blindness, especially if you already have no intentions to put her back in with the others. I was just reading about fighting cocks in Vietnam, often being blind in both eyes (having lost their eyes entirely) but still living on, breeding, winning fights, etc. Best wishes.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would look closely into your chickens eyes--you may see that the eyes are cloudy with a film sort of like waxed paper if she is blind. I would let her be herself--if she finds food, water, and forages, comes back in to roost at night, she probably deserves to live. She may well be taken by a predator at some point, but she will have lived a good life.

4. Shawnna R

Shawnna R Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2013
    I have noticed her eyes are kind of clouded over, but she does well on her own. It really is a miracle she is alive, I almost put her down but decided to give her a chance, so I took it day by day, and everyday she shocked me. She had nothing but bone left when I found her one morning. So at this point I think i will leave her, she can stay on my place :) She hasn't started laying, but all the trauma she went through I am not sure she will, or at least not anytime soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by