Blind duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Birdydeb, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Birdydeb

Birdydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a little ducking that will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. I had noticed for the past week that she was a lot smaller than the others but just assumed she was a runt. Last night she could barely hold her head up and I rushed to get some Nutri-Drench and water in her. Also got just a bit of mashed up egg in her. I couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong with her and was frantically searching this site. Just before I put her up for the night I realized from watching her....she can't see! :( I can wave my hand in front of her, she doesn't react but she does react to sounds...she jumps. She was alive and about 50% better this morning. I made her a mash of egg and her feed. She was slowly slurping it up from a spoon. I syringed some water to her and she is resting. Any other suggestions? She does not have a full crop yet but it now has some food in it. I figured I would take it slowly with hand feeding her some mash and would try to keep her hydrated. Her "hospital" brooder is sitting on a heating pad and the temp is 80. Should I try to get it around 85? I am really kicking myself that I didn't realize her problem sooner but I just assumed she was a runt and would catch up. :( Thanks for any advice or help. Of all the animals I have nursed, a blind duckling is a first. As with all the others: as long as she fights, I fight.

Eta: also I have an Avi-Temp panel from nursing sick parrots, should I use that as a heat source for her? Can't even think right now how to explain the type heat it is. It proved to be too hot for chicks when I tried that is why I am hesitant and went for the heating pad.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    At two weeks, 80F should be just about right for her.

You may want to think about hanging a chime or putting some kind of auditory clue for her near the water and feed. Certainly for now she needs to catch up so she can develop.

I might put poultry vitamins with probiotics in their water once a week for a boost - it won't hurt the others. And perhaps add a tablespoon of brewer's yeast (not baking, not winemaking, it's a nutritional supplement) per cup of food for all of them. It's a long shot, but B vitamin deficiency affects nerve development - I feel there is a tiny chance it might help her. Not all ducklings show problems with low B vitamin levels, but many do.

3. Birdydeb

Birdydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

@ Amiga Update: I don't that she is totally blind after all. I am thinking that as the runt she just didn't get to food and water like she needed. She is in a brooder by herself and eating ,drinking on her own and as of yesterday pooping normal poops. My newbie stupidity I guess. :( She is doing well enough now that I am thinking of putting a buddy with her. I gave her some rolled up socks to sleep with and she cuddled with them. She is still a bit unsteady but stands and walks....tries to preen and shakes those tail feathers. :) But she is lonely so I will put a buddy with her today. This little girl had an amazing will to survive. I thought I would have lost her by now but it seems we have turned a corner. Hoping this ordeal hasn't affected her too much. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by