Blind duckling

HarmonyFox

Songster
Apr 5, 2018
So my duckling just hatched out with what look like cataracts on her eyes. I had multiple guinea eggs, two chicken eggs, and two duck eggs in the incubator. The guineas all died (they were my guineas first eggs and the eggs were too small) but I was super happy everyone else seemed to be hatching healthy and happy. Then once this last one hatched out and she opened her eyes I noticed the spots and got so confused and concerned. The guineas upset me so I'm very adamant about her living. I mean I'm always adamant about animals living but I feel a bit supercharged ATM and a touch desperate as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I read some forams that already exist about blind ducks but I wanted to post about mine anyways just in case anyone has even more advice. I really want her to live.
1010180717.jpg

1010180717a.jpg

I have blind Muscovys and they were born with no eyes. Keep her in an area where everything stays placed the same so she can find her way around and potentially find a friend that won’t pick at her. Mine are happy healthy ducklings!

I have blind Muscovys and they were born with no eyes. Keep her in an area where everything stays placed the same so she can find her way around and potentially find a friend that won’t pick at her. Mine are happy healthy ducklings!
She has her brother (when I put my ducks genetics into a calculator it seemed all his daughters would be chocolate so I feel pretty posotive of their genders) but I'm not sure how good of a friend he will be. See seems insainly hyper. Also he's a boy and if he'll be anything like his father he won't exactly respect his fellow females.
**Edit: by hyper I mean he pecks at everyone like a butt and randomly bolts like crazy**

Last edited:
Does the Duckling walk around normally or searching with its head lowered?..Does it find the feed and water on its own?
She keeps her eyes closed alot. Since she recently hatched I don't think she's very hungry yet so she hasn't showed much interest in food. She honestly sits more than anything right now too so it's probably a bit early to answer that question. Sorry.

Does the Duckling walk around normally or searching with its head lowered?..Does it find the feed and water on its own?
So she when you place her down she will run in the direction of whatever way she's facing while yelling and falling over a lot. She can't seem to find food on her own so I've just been feeding her as of right now. She seems to be able to see some light though because she will peck at my rings but other than that she doesn't act like she can see much at all.

So she when you place her down she will run in the direction of whatever way she's facing while yelling and falling over a lot. She can't seem to find food on her own so I've just been feeding her as of right now. She seems to be able to see some light though because she will peck at my rings but other than that she doesn't act like she can see much at all.
Hang a mirror in the Brooder and see if she noodles her reflection. Is it the only Duckling that hatched? It takes some a bit longer to find their legs. I hope it can see...

Hang a mirror in the Brooder and see if she noodles her reflection. Is it the only Duckling that hatched? It takes some a bit longer to find their legs. I hope it can see...
She's got a brother but he's an ass who bullies everyone especially her so idk what I'ma do with him. I only had two duck eggs in my incubator so. And not really no. She can see some tho. I asume they're cataracts. Cataracts make your vision very very blurry but your sensitive to bright lights and can see general shapes. I had a friend who was born with cataracts, of course they got them fixed, but babies can get them. She doesn't notice other things though. But she finally figured out where her food and water is so I don't have to constantly hand feed her! I'm so proud!!! This is a recent pic. That's the eye that isn't completely eclipsed so she looks at things with it more. Which is why she would only look at the camera with that side.
1010182349b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom