Blind Duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by janastasio, May 23, 2010.

1. janastasio

janastasio Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    In my last batch of call hatchlings, we hatched just about all misfits! 2 with slight beak imperfections and one that is blind. We thought the cute spinning duckling was just something she would grow out of..... hmmm guess not. Now what to do with her. She is the favorite of everyone. We have named her spinderella! My mother is making her a skirt to spin in! Can the craziness go on any further!!? Anyone else ever kept a blind duck and how did you keep it, ie, house, outside , caged??? Thanks.

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    WOW talk about bad luck. I'm sorry to hear that.

As far as a blind duck. I have a duckling that's 2 months old that's blind in one eye. She's a Crested Pekin and she was a rescue.

She does have problems but she's paired up with another duck who seems to be her eyes. They're never apart.

I hope someone can come along to help you with more info.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have one at the moment...A little Runner about 10 days old...I have named it Stevie - Ray after the two blind musicians as this little one moves it head around the same way. I was very worried about him at first and tried to test in a few different ways how much sight he had. I have had ducks before missing an eye- but never one that was just blind. Sadly my little one has almost none or complete no vision at all. he is in the brooder with 7 others and seems to get around well enough to eat and drink. I plan to offer him to a special home later as I already have one disabled duck...But will keep him if a special home cant be found. He sits down alot rather than walking around with the others- and uses his beak alot to feel his way around the brooder. My little one doesnt spin around or act very different at all- and to look at he just is a little smaller than the others- and his blindness is not very obvious unless you watch him for a few minutes at least.

4. janastasio

janastasio Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Our duck simply spins in circles over and over and over! She wipes out her other cagemates in the process, so I know its stressfull. My unltimate to have her own pen and they have a harness that she can run aournd the hourse in until it becomes cage time. I also want to desighn a bag I can put her in with her feet dangling out and take places with me. Would be sooooos coooooooool!

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Spinning is actually a symptom of Thiamine deficiency. Maybe your duckling is both blind and has a deficiency. Try giving some B group vitamins and see if it will help with the spinning.

6. callducklover20

callducklover20 Songster

May 5, 2010
    Bonner Springs, KS
    There are a few things that cause spinning that I have seen in other animals, so I do kind of agree with duckyfromoz-she is great and has helped so many people on here. I had one caguya hatch last year that its eyes didnt seem ready yet-they were smaller and blue clouded, named that one Stevie too-lol-he developed eye sight about a week later and was fine after that, dont know what happened-hot spot/cold spot in the stryo incubator or what, I was just happy when I noticed he could see

7. janastasio

janastasio Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have some sublingual lozenges from a very good vitamin company that I could disolve and give to her. Would this be appropriate for her? How much would I give her. Mine are a B6 complex. Thanks. I would be happy to try this and see if it helps. Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by