Blind/handicapped Duckling

cmillerrun89

Songster
Apr 18, 2018
USA
I’ve always been deemed the “animal person” either by blessing or curse since I work as a wildlife rehabber and domestic animal rescuer in town. 😂

I was recently contacted by someone about a duckling with one eye and the other doesn’t seem to have much sight as all. I don’t have any ducks at the moment but have raised quite a few over the years. I have the space and equipment to care for one and a flock of 5 month old buff Orpingtons at the moment but I know mingling them probably won’t be wise until much later on (if at all). Should I work to get a buddy for him in the brooder or since he is totally blind it may not mean as much? I was thinking someone to help him navigate around the brooder would help, but is also a risk because they may just become a bully. I’ve had bad luck with ducks bullying each other, which is why I am cautious!

Since he is blind, he might get hurt with another duckling. Usually it's best to have another one (especially with wild ducklings), so unless you get lucky with a nice one lol. Maybe just have some soft blankets and thing to interact with. I'm guessing since he's blind you won't be able to release him, so I would just try to bond with him as much as possible. Also, I've seen one of these for ducks
1593888672188.png

Thanks! I think I’m going to see how single life goes. Of course I’m also worried about “failure to thrive” since it is so young, but I’m willing to give the little once a chance. He/she is a domestic breed of duck which makes it much easier. If it’s a female I may be able to integrate with the chickens for a bit but I have space to separate.

We've had a lot of rehab experience this year due to some not so great breeding lines.

For us pairing didnt work when one was weak or different unless the new healthier one was much smaller (and there are still no guarantees).

We found having an alarm clock stuffed in a big fluffy sock seemed to give them comfort and would frequently find them sitting on it or trying to hug it.

We did try gloves until one of them managed to climb in and jam themselves in the thumb part.... :barnie

I also wanted to say nice work on taking on a special needs duckling - we are all here to support you ! X

We've had a lot of rehab experience this year due to some not so great breeding lines.

For us pairing didnt work when one was weak or different unless the new healthier one was much smaller (and there are still no guarantees).

We found having an alarm clock stuffed in a big fluffy sock seemed to give them comfort and would frequently find them sitting on it or trying to hug it.

We did try gloves until one of them managed to climb in and jam themselves in the thumb part.... :barnie

I also wanted to say nice work on taking on a special needs duckling - we are all here to support you ! X

Thanks so much for the advice! My fingers are crossed for this babe. I initially was tempted to turn the person away just because I’ve been so overwhelmed over the last few years and it was nice to have a break...but then I found myself “googling” info and one thing led to another and I couldn’t say no. Especially if I’d be able to keep as a singleton, it may be better for my current set up. The universe has a funny way of working. 😂 Working out a pickup for this weekend if they’re ok with me taking them on. I’m sure I will be a frequent haunt on the board again shortly after with updates. I think this ducky needs a good patriotic name being surrendered on the 4th or July 😊

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the advice! My fingers are crossed for this babe. I initially was tempted to turn the person away just because I’ve been so overwhelmed over the last few years and it was nice to have a break...but then I found myself “googling” info and one thing led to another and I couldn’t say no. Especially if I’d be able to keep as a singleton, it may be better for my current set up. The universe has a funny way of working. 😂 Working out a pickup for tomorrow since they aren’t available today. I’m sure I will be a frequent haunt on the board again shortly after with updates. I think this ducky needs a good patriotic name being surrendered on the 4th or July 😊
We got to eight dogs on the same basis you are now taking on this baby - I do think the universe tends to sort these things out regardless of what we think our views are on things !

I'd love to see a pic when they arrive please - then let the naming competition begin !! :wee

In my experience, blind birds often do better with a buddy. The blind one can hear the buddy eat and drink, which helps locate the food and water for them and provides a reminder to eat.

Ducks don't bully like chickens do, so a duckling or two of the same size will help. Ducklings mutually groom, so that will keep the blind one clean, or, as clean as the others, anyway. It can look a little rough, but ducklings are actually quite gentle with one another, as opposed to chicks.
Day one for Hookbill duckling, with gray Runner ducklings ranging from 1-3 days older:
Day four for Hookbill duckling, same gray Runner ducklings:

Edited to add, my blind fawn and white runner is about eight years old. I raised her from an egg, along with her buddies, who are all fawn and whites, too. I don't know why she is blind, but none of her offspring were blind.

BTW, I use a pigeon as buddy for injured chicks or adults, blind or not. Pigeons don't pick on other birds, and they eat and drink throughout the day. Birds are flock animals, so they will be encouraged to eat and drink with the pigeons.

I don't think I do, but I will take a look.

I may have a video of rabbits and pigeons sharing a cage, but it may take me a while to find it. Young pigeons learn quickly that when a rabbit thumps, it means danger. I always keep a few pet rabbits in the barn as lookouts.

Back
Top Bottom