Blind/handicapped Duckling

Found a photo from a couple of years ago. My oldest roo (12, at that time...he lived to almost 15) had keeled over one hot day. I brought him into the brooder room of the barn where we have a window air conditioner, but he just wouldn't get up, or eat or drink.

I put one of my older pigeons in with him. His first reaction was to get out of the way when she took a bath in his water bowl, but then he went over and had a drink. Then he started eating with her. They were cage pals until she died, but by then I had a pullet to add in.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WSYkxePRQWaqYnbU6
Not a great photo, but you get the idea.

Found a photo from a couple of years ago. My oldest roo (12, at that time...he lived to almost 15) had keeled over one hot day. I brought him into the brooder room of the barn where we have a window air conditioner, but he just wouldn't get up, or eat or drink.

I put one of my older pigeons in with him. His first reaction was to get out of the way when she took a bath in his water bowl, but then he went over and had a drink. Then he started eating with her. They were cage pals until she died, but by then I had a pullet to add in.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WSYkxePRQWaqYnbU6
Not a great photo, but you get the idea.
Thank you for sharing !

Do you think it makes a difference that these are two mature birds ?

My experience with ill birds has only been with hatchlings up to a couple of weeks - and pairing didnt work for us.

That being said, we've had some dire issues that were distressing us for us let alone the poor ducklings so it might not be comparable.

We've also got waaaay less experience than you.

Youngsters are different than mature birds, you are right about that.

However, ducklings are far and away better at taking care of siblings than chicks are.

Youngsters are different than mature birds, you are right about that.

However, ducklings are far and away better at taking care of siblings than chicks are.

I have never raised chicks.

I suppose the other awful aspect of our experience is that with hindsight I now know that most of our patients were dying or were just about to start their final phase and I think its natural for other animals to shy away from that.

I never want another hatching year like this one - I can't imagine it gets any easier to watch your birds pass even when you have tried everything you could.

😢

With anything you do, you just do your best. That's all you can do. I have had some bad times like that, and I think most of us have similar experiences. I am sorry that you are going through this now. I appreciate that you are sharing what you learn along the way. That helps all of us, and we are grateful!

Update: The owner found a local farm sanctuary to take the little guy and he has a new, smaller, handicapped buddy to hang with. They are doing great and he seems very happy <3 Sad I didn't get to meet him but I think that placement will be much more beneficial for him! Thanks for all of your help! Your suggestions helped her keep him comfy and calm while we waited for the sanctuary volunteer to pick up :)

We've had a lot of rehab experience this year due to some not so great breeding lines.

For us pairing didnt work when one was weak or different unless the new healthier one was much smaller (and there are still no guarantees).

We found having an alarm clock stuffed in a big fluffy sock seemed to give them comfort and would frequently find them sitting on it or trying to hug it.

We did try gloves until one of them managed to climb in and jam themselves in the thumb part.... :barnie

I also wanted to say nice work on taking on a special needs duckling - we are all here to support you ! X
Can I ask as well about your experience? I inherited a blind duckling. It was getting bullied at her old home and she asked me to take her I did. I though it was nutrient deficient but after watching her, she is blind. She is 6 weeks old now. I have tried to pair her with the ducklings that are 7 weeks. They have accepted her but still push her away. I tried putting her with 2 hens and they just stay away from her. Would she be better off alone? I know ducks are flock animals. Or should I buy ducklings and put her with them and keep my fingers crossed that they from a flock? And, has anyone raised an adoult blind duck because I wonder since she is blind and doesn’t see day and night, will she lay eggs? Or get egg bound?

What do you mean they have accepted her but push her away? To keep a blind duckling I'd think she would have to be in a pen that is very secure with feed and water always in the same place so she can find it easy. And with a buddy that will help her find her way around. So you might try and see if she'll bond and vice versa with just one other duckling one that is laid back more than the others.
Bless you for taking it in.
I am pretty sure some of my Runners lay before daylight so most likely that won't make a difference in laying with this one.

Back
Top Bottom