Blind, lethargic chicken - Won’t Eat

Sil1yG0os3

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2023
Hi there, I am writing on behalf of my 8 month old (amercuna?) rescue chicken. I took her in 2 days ago as what I thought was just a blind chicken, but now I am starting to think there is more going on with her. Today she slept most of the day (separated from the flock in a dog crate) and barely pecked at her food and I had to forcibly give her electrolyte water. When I took her out of the crate, she could hardly balance to take a few steps. I think I am working with coccidiosis but I’m not a %100 sure. Would love to hear some feedback and similar stories. I can’t get a hold of amprolium for another 2 days as there was none in stock anywhere. Are there any treatments I can do for her in the meantime?

Can you post pictures of both eyes and how she looks now? What do her poops look like? If she is blind, she will need to be fed every 2 or 3 hours. She might be too weak to stand if she cannot get to food and water. Are you certain she is 8 months old?

I took her in 2 days ago as what I thought was just a blind chicken, but now I am starting to think there is more going on with her. Today she slept most of the day (separated from the flock in a dog crate)
Marek's is one possible cause of blindness.

Where was she rescued from? Do you know her history like when it started?

Are her feathers ruffled/puffed like often seen in coccidiosis?

Did you check her crop condition to see if it was empty before forcing fluid?

Back
Top Bottom