Blind rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Autumn baby, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Autumn baby

Autumn baby In the Brooder

Jan 6, 2019
    Hello. This forum has given me some great ideas. I have a nine week old cooku maran rooster that is blind. He was originally supposed to be a hen but she started crowing. Lol He’s been blind since birth and is thriving but I’m needing some suggestions on entertainment. We tried to get chicks for companionships but that didn’t go well because he pecks everything and the smaller chicks started to pick on him as they got bigger. He’s been an inside bird and although my two dogs are able to coexist, they dont seem to have any interest in each other. We are going to put him outside for a few hours with the goal of giving him more of a chicken life but are going to have to put a fence within a fence because he was getting pecked when he would go near the perimeter from our other chickens. He’s super sweet and wants to be held all the time. Does anyone have any ideas for when he reaches puberty? We named her Autum hence why he is still being called Autumn. No one can retrain their minds to call him anything else!

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Sadly, I have no experience with such birds, but hopefully someone will be along soon that can offer some advice :fl

KLIL, rjohns39, 007Sean and 11 others like this.
  3. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal Flock! I’m so sorry about your sweet Roo! I have heard others say that blind chickens can lead healthy lives as long as they live in a predator proof environment. Best of luck! Bear hugs! :hugs

KLIL, Autumn baby, rjohns39 and 11 others like this.
  4. DobieLover

DobieLover Crossing the Road

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I really cannot offer any advice for you blind cockerel. Good luck with him. It sounds like you are trying to give him a good life.

KLIL, Autumn baby, Pork Pie and 12 others like this.
  5. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Hello Autumn baby.
    Welcome to BYC.
    Poor Autumn. Just maybe you could find him a hen that won''t bully him.

KLIL, Pork Pie, rjohns39 and 12 others like this.
  6. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Chirping

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    :welcome No advise either. :(

KLIL, Pork Pie, rjohns39 and 9 others like this.
  7. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Poppy-Dog

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    :frow Hi @Autumn baby & welcome to BYC! Thank you for joining us! Unfortunately I don't have experience with fully blind birds, hopefully someone who does can help you. :)

KLIL, Pork Pie, rjohns39 and 9 others like this.
  8. N F C

N F C Wind? Bah!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Sorry, I don't have any experience on that to give you some good feedback. Hopefully, someone else will chime in here for you.

Wishing you and Autum the best, thank you for joining us!

KLIL, Pork Pie, rjohns39 and 8 others like this.
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. He will require life long protection from predators and flock life. It may be possible to fine him a gentle hen companion, but the potential for bullying will always exist.

KLIL, Pork Pie, rjohns39 and 12 others like this.
  10. FlappyFeathers

FlappyFeathers Free Ranging

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    byc-chicken-family.png
    In this special case, I wonder if your roo might be better off just staying a house pet. If he can't get along with other chickens, he may be more lonely outside and a true "chicken life" won't be possible. Many people keep single house chickens, especially bantam or silkie roos. And if he likes to be handled, you could keep that up a lot easier inside than outside... being close friends with your pets won't matter as much as your own interaction. I think it would be a lot harder on him when he reaches sexual maturity (at about 4-5 months) and pullets are close by and he can't mate... and he might end up becoming more aggressive because of it. Normally, cockerels that are completely separated from females do pretty well.

As a house pet he may have to wear diapers , but he can still visit the grass and take dust baths outside.
    Chickens as House Pets? Opinions and Views
    House Chickens thread for people that have them
    People with house chickens

Kudos for trying to do right for your blind rooster... best wishes!

KLIL, Autumn baby, Pork Pie and 12 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: