Blinded in one eye?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Albaroo, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Albaroo

Albaroo New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    Oregon
    My rooster, who is aggressive but usual backs down after he sees bamboo stake in your hand, spurred in the face and possibly blinded one of my female khaki campbell ducks!
    Beyond feeling horrible, because she looks miserable and in pain, what can I do to help?
    I am pretty sure I am making soup with the chicken, but is there anything I can do? I changed the pool water to have it be clean.
    Her eye can open but it was bloody when it first happened.
    This is one of the first times the chickens & ducks have been in the same enclosure, ducks are newer, 2 months only!
    Thanks for any and all thoughts!

2. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    Just try to keep things as clean as possible. You might call your local vet and ask if they have any drops that would help or maybe some other advice. Hope your girl gets well soon!

3. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Keep it clean and keep the water clean. I have a duck that is blind in one eye and she lives a full life.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Since it's a new wound you can buy at most feed stores terrimycin ophthalmic eye ointment wash the eye out real good with warm water with some salt added or Veterycin if you have it you can spray the eye out real good. then apply the terrimycin to the eye. and clean daily using the ointment after each washing. putting some ACV into the clean bucket of water she can wash it out every time she takes a drink.1- 2 Tab to 1 gal of water Actually use the eye ointment each evening at bedtime that way she won't be washing it off every time she dunks her head.

[​IMG] Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by