Blindness spreading in my coop.

jenncat1

Chirping
Jun 21, 2019
A month ago my light Brahma went blind in her left eye. Vet came out & looked at her, I had him assess my coop, space, food,litter type, ventilation, all were appropriate. She showed no respitory symptoms. Now (month later) my Dominique is developing the same eye symptoms & has reduced vision in same eye. Took her to vet, she has a frosted spot under her pupil - no respitory symptoms. The vet even called his old professer for info. Now a month later I saw the light brahma with a few large clear bubbles in blind eye. It does not fit any of the Merak diseases. Plan of treatment now is worming, 2 weeks antibiotics, & worming again. Thinking maybe they have reduced immunity from virus & secondary infection- parasites/bacterial/fungal. Got the 5 new "in a horse trade". The Brahma is from a bird auction I believe... Stupid Stupid Stupid. This illness is slow moving. I'm guessing I'll end up with a closed flock. It is not any commen illness. Tears are streaming right now. Hoping my 2 original I raised from chicks were vaccinated for a few things at the hatchery.
****Any info or sources of info would be heaven sent.

It might be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) which is a chronic respiratory disease (CRD.) Bubbles or foam in an eye is typical of mycoplasma. Many things can cause an opaque eye or cataract in poultry. Checking your ventilation was good since they need air circulation from one end of the coop to the other to remove ammonia odor from droppings. Pecking injuries, infections, incidental cataracts can caus cloudy eyes. Ocular Mareks usually causes greying of the colored iris, and the pupil may appear smaller or irregular in shape due to iris changes.

upload_2019-11-15_9-18-34.jpeg

Mycoplasma gallisepticum

get scrambled eggs with powdered egg shells everyday

Hi there, sorry to hear about your birds. :(

Eggs are a nice pick me up or treat but should not be given daily because while they are loaded with nutrients their energy comes from 34% protein and 64% fat.

Also powdering the egg shells before mixing in makes them speed through the system without absorbing to make new eggs shells (not sure if it will impact kidney function long term). To make new eggs shells and be absorbed it need to be a large source and gets ground down when it goes through the gizzard. I also let mine dry in a coffee can to prevent mold (not rinsed). I just take out to the run and step on them to crush down. Or I use a wine bottle to crush a little in the can and pour into the side dish. Egg shells are always consumed before the standard oyster shell.

So the vet recommended worming? With or without a fecal float to confirm species load and actual need?

You have learned one of the most valuable lessons in chicken keeping... never bring birds from someone else's flock/pasture. Sorry you face this... hope your birds recover quickly! :fl

Please note that fruits and veggies are a nice treat or enrichment and should not exceed 10% total daily intake. If you want a real boost to the immune system, I suggest Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Cell (product) as a superior supplement. No supplement should be given more than 10 days in a row.

For what it's worth... I never use layer feed, but instead a flock raiser. It has 20% protein in addition to more amino acids than most layer feeds. Since making the switch... my birds enter and come out of molt a lot easier than when I used layer. Oyster shell is always available on the side for active layers to access.

One thing I don't see mentioned is the age of these birds?

I agree it does not fit with Marek's... but more likely the things mentioned by eggcessive. :hmm

Hang in there, I hope you get answers! :fl

Hi there, sorry to hear about your birds. :(

Eggs are a nice pick me up or treat but should not be given daily because while they are loaded with nutrients their energy comes from 34% protein and 64% fat.

Also powdering the egg shells before mixing in makes them speed through the system without absorbing to make new eggs shells (not sure if it will impact kidney function long term). To make new eggs shells and be absorbed it need to be a large source and gets ground down when it goes through the gizzard. I also let mine dry in a coffee can to prevent mold (not rinsed). I just take out to the run and step on them to crush down. Or I use a wine bottle to crush a little in the can and pour into the side dish. Egg shells are always consumed before the standard oyster shell.

So the vet recommended worming? With or without a fecal float to confirm species load and actual need?

You have learned one of the most valuable lessons in chicken keeping... never bring birds from someone else's flock/pasture. Sorry you face this... hope your birds recover quickly! :fl

Please note that fruits and veggies are a nice treat or enrichment and should not exceed 10% total daily intake. If you want a real boost to the immune system, I suggest Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Cell (product) as a superior supplement. No supplement should be given more than 10 days in a row.

For what it's worth... I never use layer feed, but instead a flock raiser. It has 20% protein in addition to more amino acids than most layer feeds. Since making the switch... my birds enter and come out of molt a lot easier than when I used layer. Oyster shell is always available on the side for active layers to access.

One thing I don't see mentioned is the age of these birds?

I agree it does not fit with Marek's... but more likely the things mentioned by eggcessive. :hmm

Hang in there, I hope you get answers! :fl

It's hard to take advise from someone that just told you you're doing EVERYTHING wrong. Their extra non-feed food is 10% or less. The girls I've had since chicks have had their scrambled eggs on regular basis for over a year & half & have also never molted & lay almost year round. They have a free choice feeder , grit, feed, & oyster shell. I'm gonna stick with the vets advise & the vetinary school consult.
I don't drink, so no wine bottles for crushing, but good tip on going back to crushing them up. Thanks☺️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom