Blindness spreading in my coop.

It's hard to take advise from someone that just told you you're doing EVERYTHING wrong. Their extra non-feed food is 10% or less. The girls I've had since chicks have had their scrambled eggs on regular basis for over a year & half & have also never molted & lay almost year round. They have a free choice feeder , grit, feed, & oyster shell. I'm gonna stick with the vets advise & the vetinary school consult.
I don't drink, so no wine bottles for crushing, but good tip on going back to crushing them up. Thanks☺️
My apologies that my post came off as a personal attack... as it was meant to be informational and helpful only.... hence the fingers crossed to cheer you on. :confused:

Guess you don't know me well enough top know that I am sincere int the things I say and truly care about helping fellow BYCer's and their pets! :highfive:

My suggestions and advice come from many years of experience... and questioning vets... I would get a second opinion from another qualified vet IF one suggested worming without doing a fecal load count. Anyways... if it was another reason than worms that it was suggested.. It would be awesome if you share with us the reason... as the majority of us are here not only to share the knowledge we already have but also to hone it and expand it when possible! :pop

My husband uses wine in his cooking. A soy sauce bottle, seltzer water, or any semi heavy glass container that fits inside the egg shell container works well.

Please note... I did not point any finger at you or say YOU are doing anything wrong! Many folks can't see a vet even if they want to. We all do our best until we learn something new... then we switch it up if possible.

Again, in case you missed the point of my first post... it was to support you and your birds! Best wishes for y'all! :fl

My apologies that my post came off as a personal attack... as it was meant to be informational and helpful only.... hence the fingers crossed to cheer you on. :confused:

Guess you don't know me well enough top know that I am sincere int the things I say and truly care about helping fellow BYCer's and their pets! :highfive:

My suggestions and advice come from many years of experience... and questioning vets... I would get a second opinion from another qualified vet IF one suggested worming without doing a fecal load count. Anyways... if it was another reason than worms that it was suggested.. It would be awesome if you share with us the reason... as the majority of us are here not only to share the knowledge we already have but also to hone it and expand it when possible! :pop

My husband uses wine in his cooking. A soy sauce bottle, seltzer water, or any semi heavy glass container that fits inside the egg shell container works well.

Please note... I did not point any finger at you or say YOU are doing anything wrong! Many folks can't see a vet even if they want to. We all do our best until we learn something new... then we switch it up if possible.

Again, in case you missed the point of my first post... it was to support you and your birds! Best wishes for y'all! :fl
Thanks, antibiotics start tmrw for two weeks. Glad to have a large animals vet available & 2 techs keep pet chickens so they don't think I'm nutty. Current thought is maybe virus that weakened their immune system & then secondary infection/virus/parasites. They are all presenting differently bubbles in the blind eye showed up for one day a month after vet saw her. Another just started coughing today without any other symptoms... I will definitely add info for everyone if we can determine a cause or combination.

@jenncat1 I'm sorry your dealing with this.
Do you have any photos of the eyes you can share with us?
IMG_20191015_171247156.jpg this is a month ago, that's not goop in the corner it's the conjunctiva. I know Brahma's have different eye lids & are prone to cataracts. This eye is hazy now, no change pupil or iris size. The Dominique started the same, closed eye, more exposed conjunctiva than normal & I saw small circular frosty spot under the pupil. Her vision is damaged, I don't know how bad. Yesterday my Golden Laced Orpington (unfortunately molting too) suddenly had the aweful gurgling cough - out of nowhere. This is all occuring in about a 2 month period.

Ugh, dirty finches. There are tons of finches & sparrows. We also have wild turkey, pheasants, ducks, swans & Canada geese that come through. We live between 2 "prairie potholes", one being the largest in North America.

With MG it would be good to get tested and a diagnosis, and you may want to then close your flock since MG spreads to all members of the flock, as well as being passed through hatching eggs. Tetsting one sick may be least expensive going through the state vet. There is a national lab, Zoologix that will send you swabs to collect yourself, but it is expensive tfor a respiratory disease panel. Then you can make a plan to either treat your sick birds when they have an outbreak, or cull sick birds. Antibiotics are becoming harder to get, but the ones that treat MG are oxytetracycline, tylan, and denagard. Getting together with your regular vet, you might be able to arrange a source if you first get your birds tested. Fortunately with MG, the disease is only alive for about 3 days once the last bird is alive. So letting the affected birds die off before getting healthy baby chicks is the best way to have a flock without a chronic respiratory disease.

Back
Top Bottom