Blindness

Frannabelle

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
MI
Hi
About 2 months ago a year old bantam cochin hen had what I thought was mild bumblefoot (bottom of one of her feet was swollen with a hard dark circle in the middle) I soaked her foot over a couple of weeks and the foot healed just fine. No signs of any more swelling and she is walking just fine.
So, the last few days to a week, I'm noticing she is not seeing very well. She's having a hard time finding the food and is bumping around. Today I'm sure I'm right, she is not seeing almost at all.

My questions are, could this be related to the foot problem? Is there anything that can be done?

thanks!

Quote:
Bumblefoot isnt related to causing blindness. There are only a few reasons why a chicken could go blind; injuries, ocular marek's, eyeworm, genetic, maybe a very severe infection. Perhaps you could take her to a vet and have him look at her eyes and make a determination. Good luck.

Thanks for replying. I also should have stated that there is no evident injury, any swelling etc.
I asked about the bumblefoot only because I thought bumblefoot is a staph infection and wondered if the same staph infection could be affecting her eyesight.

Just a little note: chickens do very well even in blindness. The best things you can do for them is to keep there living space the same, food, water, sleeping area. It is best if they are placed with one other chicken for a buddie. They don't do well with a lot of others. They will get pecked on a lot. Please observe that they are eating and drinking. I've seen people think that they are eating/drinking only to find out after they die that they hadn't.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom