blisters on combs - help please

Yadina

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
A few months ago my chickens developed blisters on their combs. The blisters are white and filled with clear liquid at first then after a day or so, they turn yellow and the skin area around the eye and wattle turns white. They also seem to want to scratch the area. Been to the local vet, they didn't know what it was, but they gave me antibiotics and some topical antibiotic cream which seemed to clear it up but it keeps coming back. They seem lethargic and egg production drops off.
I don't think it's pox as the blisters are not dark.
Can anyone help?

Here is a picture... we had put some antibiotic cream earlier today
chook2ec8.jpg

I've never had pox on my yard, but that sure looks like what wet pox is supposed to look like from what I have read. If it is, it shouldn't last for months though, but I do know there isn't anything you can do to cure it, you have to let it run its course. The way I understand it, some birds never recover though. Check out this LINK . Sorry I couldn't be more help, maybe someone else here has more experience with this.

if it is Pox:
keep watch for any problems eating or drinking..
Wet Pox can effect the throat and mouth.
can also cause swelling around the eyes..
continue to apply antibiotic ointment..

what antibiotic did the vet give you?

Last edited:
Vet gave me antibiotic called 'Psittavet' sorry no information on the chemical name is included on the packaging. The topical ointment is called 'Neotopic-H' lotion, it contains Neomycin sulfate, Hydrocortisone and lignocaine HCI. They are all responding very well to treatment, idea is to stop secondary infection, but my big fear is that it will all happen again! They tell my that the chickens will build immunity but finding this not to be the case. Hate to see them go through this.
Any advice on prevention measures would be great.

best to ask vet..
some sort of penicillin derivative most likely, but there are other ABs that treat staph.

staph could be secondary, so maybe the antibiotic the vet gave will do..
no harm in asking.

Last edited:
it might be acombonation of things, starting with a bad sun burn, then it got infected, and then turned into staph, cuz it almost looks like its comb had some sun dammage... idk. sry, hope it helps

Back
Top Bottom