Blizzard conditions tonight and tomorrow..........NOOoooooooo!

The west side of the Portland area is also getting hammered.

On the way home from work, it was pouring rain then it changed over to blowing snow. It's 28 right now (17 degrees by morning) which means the roads will be a solid sheet of ice covered with about an inch of snow. Wednesday morning is supposed to be 11 degrees. When it was 8 degrees on the 8th of December and 7 degrees on the 9th of December last year, the weather people said it was a fluke. Are flukes supposed to happen every year?
idunno.gif
I think our weather pattern has severely shifted and we are no longer an 8b gardening climate. We basically didn't even have a summer this year and now a really early start to a severe winter (for us)?

I'm relying on y'all when you said that I didn't need to heat the coop. Ok?
fl.gif

Yeah, no need to heat coops, all my birds are still sleeping outside.

The cruddy part is now I won't be able to take my car home for this long weekend!!!

Once again she's stuck in oregon... happened two years ago for winter break. But that time, even if I got it home, two weeks later I would not have been able to get back to school.

Not getting hammered here in the Willamette Valley, but definitely getting snow. I've lived here 15 years now and I've never seen snow this early - December yes, but never before Thanksgiving. I think it's going to be a very wild winter. And I'm bad....I am heating my coop just a little. (go ahead, tsk tsk me..... I can take it
tongue.png
) I have also taken in all my tiny Seramas and OEGBs and my couple special need chickens that have been living outside.

Last edited:
I am in coastal SW BC, and right now in our Fraser Valley area, we have high arctic outflow winds and gusts up to 90 kmh. Yikes! With the wind chill it is expected to drop below -20 celcius. I am feeling so very concerned for the girls and their roo, two of whom are still in active molt. We put our heat lamp in the coop and I'm hoping noone is too cold. What else to do? The waterer froze in mere hours twice today and tomorrow is supposed to be colder all day, and hopefully less windy. It is shaping up to be a wild winter. I don't recall EVER having snow fall in November, none that stuck anyways with a freeze settling in to stay.

good lick to y'all with unexpected weather and colder than cold temps.

~Erin

Quote:
Oh don't rub it in!
tongue2.gif
Miss the nice winters we had in AZ now dealing with snow on the ground and more to come tomorrow. I'll take your Alabama weather now please!
big_smile.png

It will be in the 30s when I get up tomorrow morning.... I'm gonna have to keep a fire going in the fire place I suppose.

Yeah but it will warm up to at least 60!
hit.gif
We have a blizzard warning for this afternoon until tomorrow morning. The last time I was in a blizzard was 1978 (yeah I know my age is showing
gig.gif
) We got 5 feet of snow then. We are not going to get that much snow here today and tomorrow just hate dragging the hoses in and out every day to thaw them. Working on some heated hoses now. Never had to worry about this in AZ!

Weird weather here in North Texas, too...although not anything as bad as you're describing! For the last two nights, the low temperature has been 70-71, but they're predicting low of 28 for Thanksgiving. So far this year, it hasn't gotten lower than the upper 40's at night, and usually it's been in the 50's, so this is going to be a very dramatic and sudden shift.

I have tiny bantams, so I'm worried about how well they're going to manage such an extreme change. I hated to do it, but yesterday I cut a small hole in the side of my new coop so that I could thread an extension cord through the wall and run an oil filled radiator to try to take the edge of the cold when it hits.

Blech.

It's 34 degrees outside right now! and headed down.

Glad I don't have much of a winter garden, everything would be frozen by 6AM

That's very COLD!!

I thought I lived in Phoenix?

What's happening to this world????

Must be global warming.

Climate Change. They are calling it Climate Change now.

In Russia the perma frost is thawing and releasing methane. When this happens in a lake with an ice cap, the methane bubbles up and forms visible pockets under the ice. They are paying people to go out, drill a hole and light it. They figure the CO2 from the burning is better for the atmossphere than the methane.

Has nothing to do with the topic of the post, but the imagery of a guy trudging along the ice to find places that light up is intriguing.

WOW that was some storm, the news is saying those of us south of the valley shouldnt try to get to town GRR. this is the first time in 20 years that HWY 27 has been closed before Thanksgiving. Hopefully this winter season is going to come in like a lion and go out like a lamb. Not like 2 years ago when it snowed 5ft' in 6 days that was a real problem. Well back to shoveling!

Back
Top Bottom